4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new car working out the bugs

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

Default new car working out the bugs

so i just bought a 2004 gt and most problems ive fixed already but i have a few more that i just cant figure out.

on my door panel where the buttons for the windows and locks are that pieceis popped out of the door panel and wont stay in. is there anything i can do for that?

secondly, my clutch. it has some sort of aftermarket clutch not sure of brand but when looking through the inspection cover its alot beefier then a stock one and its really stiff. my problem is it grabs right off the floor. is that normal? and when shifting it feels real notchy, almost like a little grind. and everyonce in awhile reverse will grind. would a steeda adjustable clutch cable kit help this? it still has the plastic one and i tried the toe adjuster thing but it didnt work.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

The door panel is easy to come by on eBay, you can try an adjustable clutch set up. I auggest Maximum motorsports kit, it comes with the adjuster, billet quadrant to replace the plastic one and a new OEM Cable. It won't help engagement of the gears, but it will give you piece of mind as to where you want your engagement point to be. If its grinding though, I would get it looked at or cosider getting it rebuilt. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

well grinding is the wrong word i guess. its more so just really notchy. i can feel everything almost like i can feel it fall into gear but if im shifting fast like at WOT then it goes away anytime i shift fast theres no problems just when im cruising shifting at like 3000 rpm. its kinda weird and hard to explain i guess. i feel like im just not used to this type of manual. all the cars ive driven that are stick were all hydraulic clutches and 4cyl besides my dakota that was a v8 and not 4 cyl.

and i feel like it wont sit inside the door panel itself. the button cover thing is fine no cracks or anything it just wont stay in at the top clip area
Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

This should fix your clutch problem:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-9...uster-kit.html
Old 07-03-2013, 06:55 PM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
This should fix your clutch problem:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-9...uster-kit.html
honestly, never heard of you guys. looks like a good kit how would it help more then others? and is the cable oem or your inhouse cables.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Helotech

my '99 had the same problem with the door panel, the plastic trim piece that houses all the window switches wouldn't stay "clipped" in at the top, is there a plastic tab on the top of yours that kind of slides into the main door panel?? if so, I pulled the switch panel out of the door and using my heat gun just softened up the tab a tiny bit and bent it out a little then while holding it in place let it cool down, then re-installed the switch panel in the door panel, haven't had a problem with it since.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Helotech

as for your transmission problems, it sounds like someone installed a "high performance" racing clutch in it, they are designed to engage the flywheel immediately with no slip and press very hard against the flywheel to prevent slippage at high rpm. that's why it seems to do better when your pushing it harder. you have two choices, either learn to live with it or change it out to an original setup, this is an example of someone hearing and reading the hype about a product without understanding all of the effects of using it. if your not making a ton of power or using it for racing I would change it out. you can probably sell it to someone who needs the performance of it.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 AM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

ill have to try using the heat gun on it. that sounds like a good idea. but with the clutch setup how it is if i just adapt to it, will it cause any damage?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What part of PA are you in?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

levittown. im about 20 min outside of philly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new car working out the bugs