Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Shorty headers on 5.0?

Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Shorty headers on 5.0?

Hi,
anyone running shorty headers on their 5.0 or do most go with long tubes instead?

I know generally speaking long tubes will offer the most gains, but shorty's really aren't far behind, especially mated with O/R pipes or high flow cats.

It's more of a price issue (shipping is killer up here), but can get by it if the gains are worth it..
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

They come with a sort of shorty header from the factory, so most people don't see much in the way of gains from a different shorty header.

I believe this is the factory header:

Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

As mentioned above, most have found to stick with the factory manifolds or save up and go with a LT header. Personally, I think the LT's are worth the cost for a few reasons. The most obvious is extra HP/TQ throughout the power band. But, a lot of gear heads love LT headers just for their tone/sound! IMO, you can't beat a 4v 5.0 with LT headers, O/R xpipe, and a chambered catback.

Hope this info helps you out!

Shane
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
As mentioned above, most have found to stick with the factory manifolds or save up and go with a LT header. Personally, I think the LT's are worth the cost for a few reasons. The most obvious is extra HP/TQ throughout the power band. But, a lot of gear heads love LT headers just for their tone/sound! IMO, you can't beat a 4v 5.0 with LT headers, O/R xpipe, and a chambered catback.

Shane
Exhibit A.....with cats though.

There are gains with the shorty headers....but they are such a pain to put in most people elect for LT's just from the hassle. Go on americanmuscle.com for header prices or get some Stainlessworks from Sleeper_GT at hypermotiveperformance.com, just PM for some prices.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
They come with a sort of shorty header from the factory, so most people don't see much in the way of gains from a different shorty header.

I believe this is the factory header:

Looks like they are still restrictive since they share chambers with other cylinders, unlike a true shorty header which have their own chambers and larger over all size and shape in piping as well as a larger collector. At least they're no exhaust manifolds lol

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

Shane
Ditto.. shipping is about $550-600 due to size and weight of the contents.

Making long tubes and high flow cats close to $3000 (!!) throw in install ($600) or I can do it myself, but I dislike header installs on my day off using my lift at work
Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Long tubes are where it's at but if you really want to go with a shorty that will get you your money's worth, get Kooks Super Street shorty header. JDM engineering did some dyno testing with these and posted really good results.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto.. those Kooks Super Street shorty headers look almost like a mini long tube header

I seen them in a Magazine and was very interested in them. Great price too I bet...
Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Seen them as low as $590. If not these, save for long tubes! ARH, Stainless works, or Kooks.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

I don't hear a lot of people talk about the XR-1 Headers. Are they any good, or do people just not have the money to buy them?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Too freakin expensive, you have to make your own or use with the borla catback system, which runs it up to nearly 2500. They are probably on par with SW, Kooks, ARH and other brands, just not too many people who want to shell out that much on exhaust. There aren't that many who want long tubes honestly, most get the o/r setup and call it a day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shorty headers on 5.0?