4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A/C clutch "metallic/rattly" sound

Old 06-22-2013, 01:55 AM
04Blue281

Default A/C clutch "metallic/rattly" sound

I haven't owned this car for very long --- have only driven it approximately 700 miles since the day I bought it ('04 GT, 134000 miles). The air conditiioner worked fine on short trips (10-15 miles or so) at first --- but the first warm, humid day that I tried to make a 45 mile drive with the a/c running it only blew cold air for approximately 20-25 miles. I quit running the air conditioner until I got back home --- then tried it again in my driveway --- seemed to be working fine again.

So... assumed that the system was low on refrigerant/charge. MIGHT be a leak in the system. Took the car to a local shop and had them service the A/C system --- purge the system, recharge the system, add leak-detection die, etc..... And, so far, the A/C seems to be working OK.

BUT, when the A/C compressor is NOT running, I now notice a definite "metallic/rattly" sound. I normally run the car wth the "climant control" swith set to "VENT" --- and in this setting there is definitely a "metallic/rattly" sound coming from the A/C compresor clutch. Moving the climate control switch to A/C or MAX A/C --- the air conditioning comes on and the annoying sound goes away. Likewise, moving the switch from VENT all the way over to DEFROST makes the compressor "kick in" and eliminates the rattly noise.

I hate the metallic/rattly noise. Is it normal, or is it a definite sign that the A/C compressor clutch has problems??
Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Its not normal. The bearing in the clutch is going bad. You can confirm by removing the serpentine belt and spinning the condenser pulley by hand and push/pulling on in. The clutch should spin freely without any noise, but should slow down fairly soon after you spin it. That is normal. If it spins forever, or you hear any grinding/rattling noises as it spins, then the bearing is bad. There should also be no movement when you push/pull.

You can either replace the clutch itself or just the bearing inside it (press out the old, press in the new). You don’t need to open up the A/C lines do do this either, so no recharge etc is needed for this job. You can pick up a new clutch assembly or bearing at rockauto.com. You can rent a bearing driver kit from your local auto parts store, used in conjunction with a C-Clamp style ball joint press (also rentable) and you should be able to press the old bearing out and new one in on your own. Or you can take the clutch to a shop and have them press it out and the new one in. Shouldn’t cost you too much. At least a lot less then if you paid a shop to do the entire job for you. Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 06-22-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 PM
04Blue281

Thanks for the input --- greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 PM
04Blue281

Update --- have only driven the car a couple of times (very short trips) since my last post. The noise has definitely gotten worse --- bad enough that I don't want to drive the car again without having this fixed!

I am going to order an A/C compressor clutch assembly. I've never removed/replaced an A/C compressor clutch --- can anyone hook me up with some details on how to do this job? [Yeah... I tried doing a search on this site, but didn't find the info I need.] I was hoping MAYBE someone on this site had done this job in the past and had some instructions/tutorial on how to do the job. [Fingers crossed!]
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

The compressor clutch is usually pressure fitted and you can tear the assembly apart to the point of unusable trying to replace it. You may can use a machine shop to help you unless you have a service person that specializes in repairing them. I believe after you go through the trouble of buying the clutch assembly and paying someone to do the machine work on the pressed bearing you will likely have the same money as in a replacement AC compressor from ebay or the local salvage yard (better option).

Best of luck on it, try the local salvage yard first.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 AM
04Blue281

Well... OK. I was ready to order an A/C compressor clutch! Not going to do that now --- not sure at all if I have the right tools/expertise to do the job properly (and definitely don't want to screw it up!!).

I HATE going to the local dealer for repairs, but I'll talk to them about my problem and see what they suggest. May or may not let them do the work, but I need the dang thing fixed!

Any additional help/info available here??

Last edited by 04Blue281; 07-04-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Updated post
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 AM
04Blue281

Went to my nearest Ford dealer on Friday and talked with one of their service writers. Explained my problem and asked how much it would be for parts and labor. Was told 2 hours of labor to remove and replace the A/C clutch assembly.

Was also told that the A/C system would need to be purged and recharged. I explained that I just had this done 3 weeks ago and it was my understanding that the A/C compressor clutch assembly could be replaced without opening the lines (the service writer did not know whether or not that could be done).

The service writer had a parts guy look up the A/C clutch and gave me a price of $63.95. That didn't sound right to me --- I'd already looked up the A/C clutch assembly at www.rockauto.com (thanks to a helpful member here!!) and knew that the part shouldn't be that inexpensive at the dealer. I got the part number from the service writer and looked it up ---- it was just for the A/C clutch (not the complete A/C clutch assembly).

So... I still have more questions. Looking back through this thread, I can see where removing the A/C compressor clutch (just the clutch) might be a problem. But, what about removing/replacing the complete A/C compressor clutch assembly? The compressor seems to be working just fine, so I really don't want to buy another one if it isn't necessary!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 AM
04Blue281

Just for clarification---

The local dealer gave me part number 19D786 (1F1Z19D786AA or 6F1Z19D786AA). A/C Clutch (does not include bearing, pulley or any other components).

The part number I got from www.fordparts.com and www.rockauto.com for a complete A/C Clutch Assembly is 19V649 or YBR-105-RM (F5VZ19V649AARM or RMF5VH19D649AA). A/C Clutch Assembly (which appears to include the A/C Clutch, bearing, pulley and electro-magnetic components?).

I realize that the complete assembly is remanufactured, but Ford offers it through their dealers and on their website --- described as "factory installed".

Last edited by 04Blue281; 07-08-2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: corrected error
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doublevision
The compressor clutch is usually pressure fitted and you can tear the assembly apart to the point of unusable trying to replace it. You may can use a machine shop to help you unless you have a service person that specializes in repairing them. I believe after you go through the trouble of buying the clutch assembly and paying someone to do the machine work on the pressed bearing you will likely have the same money as in a replacement AC compressor from ebay or the local salvage yard (better option).

Best of luck on it, try the local salvage yard first.
Aaaannnnnnnddddddd no.

Either use a jaw puller if it's real tight or wiggle the whole thing off with a pair of screwdrivers or small pry bars. To put it back clean the shaft with some fine grit sand paper, spray some WD-40 on it and tap it back on with a hammer and a piece of wood. Pay attention to how it comes apart and put it back together like that.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 AM
04Blue281

Problem solved.

One A/C compressor clutch assy (complete assy --- reman) #F5VZ19V649AARM plus 1 hour of labor at local Ford dealer --- DONE.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C clutch "metallic/rattly" sound