Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Hot Rod Cam Problem

Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default Hot Rod Cam Problem

Anyone heard of a camshaft sprocket breaking (or falling apart) when removing the cam phaser bolts?

I am having cams installed and when pull the cam phaser bolt, the sprocket was free spinning and the guide pins were sheered off.

Was curious if anyone else had that problem or heard of it?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have not done a cam install but in my time on here and other forums, I have not heard of this issue. Did the sheer look fresh or old?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

during my install i was hand turning the engine and the passenger phaser wasnt torqued down, just kinda hand tightened and the pieces holding it together snapped and threw the chain off, looking at how they were put together there is VERY little material holding them together so it makes sense they will easily break, guess ya can just replace them, once torque'd down it should prevent breaking, it probably broke when you broke the bolt loose
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by Lem-06
during my install i was hand turning the engine and the passenger phaser wasnt torqued down, just kinda hand tightened and the pieces holding it together snapped and threw the chain off, looking at how they were put together there is VERY little material holding them together so it makes sense they will easily break, guess ya can just replace them, once torque'd down it should prevent breaking, it probably broke when you broke the bolt loose
That makes sense, but at $250 bucks it's an expensive lesson. Grr.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

IMO get the timing set kit

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-c...it-0510gt.html
I got this when I had my heads swapped, good thing too one of the tentsioners was crapped out

I don't know how many miles you have but the kit is likely a good idea more so if its higher mileage
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Also depending on mileage get this too
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-3...rce=igodigital

I'm liking my stage 3 HT heads
And after the costs that piled on I really should have gotten the hot rod cams at the same time, as the dyno joe said that over time the rollers take on an impression with the cam that if I wait to long he'd recommend replacing the rocker arms again.

But right now I have new rockers arms, new timing chains, tensioners, sprokets, cam actuaters (pretty much only thing on the heads not new is the cams) (even new one piece spark plugs, E3 just because I like that I won't have to regap them ever)

Last edited by Ford_Dude; 07-08-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
That makes sense, but at $250 bucks it's an expensive lesson. Grr.
your telling me....
i didnt have time to re-time the motor once the chain let go, so i had to get it towed to my uncles shop to re-time and replace the phaser, expensive lesson..
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Well it's all done, FRPP throttle body, intake, and hot rod cams. I love the way it sounds and shakes at idle, totally changed the feel of the car.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Hay oddy I found a place that does dyno runs for $75 for 3 runs, and its not far from this area.

I'm thinking of going there next week, you want to meet me there and see how our cars compair?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Hay oddy I found a place that does dyno runs for $75 for 3 runs, and its not far from this area.

I'm thinking of going there next week, you want to meet me there and see how our cars compair?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hot Rod Cam Problem