The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

5.0 manual trans, drag racing

Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 5.0 manual trans, drag racing

How much skill does it take to run some decent times with a manual trans and the new 5.0?

I haven't driven a proper (short gearing) manual trans for a long time.

Just curious of how much skill it takes to run a manual trans at the track.

My mind is on the auto but I am very curious of the manual trans. I am a decent driver at the track but love driving a stick day to day for more control...

do the newer cars (13-14) still have the problems of the 2011's?? Locked out of gear etc.

I can get a manual trans in a few weeks since it's in stock or 12 weeks for a special order auto trans...
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

My first time at the track ever (as a driver) I was running between 12.86 and 13.18
now given I was locked outta 3rd gear (yes the '13 still has that issue not sure on the 14's) and I ran with full tank of gas (wasn't expecting to run that night).

The Track was Castrol Raceway in Leduc, Alberta, Canada which sits approx 2300-2400ft above sea level.

I have a '13 GT
Stock 245/45/19 Pirelli's
Steeda 101mm Intake
JBA Xpipe /w Cat Deletes
Roush Axle Back
Bama 93 Race Tune

2 issues with 11-13 mustangs
1) locking out of gears (heard mainly 3rd)
2) clutch pedal sticking when shifting at high RPMS

I resolved my issues by putting in a Barton 2 post short shifter and removed the helper spring and none of those 2 problems has come back yet.
Some have said they had to change their clutch line to resolve an issue but I thankfully didn't have to go that far to resolve mine.

Manual trans all the way
I would love an auto for rush hour traffic but I thankfully don't drive much in rush hour traffic
Old 07-05-2013, 02:43 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I have read a few threads about owners switching to short throw shifters and such and have had great results. I haven't heard of it locking out of third but in second gear, which is equally as annoying at the track. That sticking clutch would really bug me, especially with RPM surge if racing. Sucks that they're having issues. Those alone or other small issues would really bother me in the long run.

Good times for street tires and elevation. Do you drive your car year round over there in the winter??? I know we get very similar conditions I bet.. neck deep in snow and still cruising in the GT lol
Old 07-05-2013, 02:52 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I got the car in Feb so did a little bit of winter driving in it when it was stock.. but I think i've modded it a bit much for a full winters use now lol

as for the clutch when it first started happening to me its still functional and the way it seems to work well stick I almost thought it was a new ford setup of a clutch to know when your racing and when you aren't cause it ONLY ever did it to me when I was launching the car outta first and shifting at high RPM but if i was already rolling and doing like 2nd/3rd gear rolling starts it wouldnt do it to me

I was clearly wrong cause I immediately went on forums looking around and guess it was a common problem and I've even had a ford tech ask me if mine did it and how I fixed it cause he I guess phoned ford and they claim "no issues"

I'm hoping weather permits next week to allow the Street Legals cause that 12.86 was with a full tank and locked outta 3rd so next time it's gonna be 1/4 tank and no more missing 3rd my goal is 12.2-12.4 with my setup and elevation..

Just gotta learn 2nd gear burnouts, I'm an epic fail at them keep stalling can do 1st gear but 2nd I just seem to be unable to do lol
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BairdGT
I got the car in Feb so did a little bit of winter driving in it when it was stock.. but I think i've modded it a bit much for a full winters use now lol
Its all about tires... I still drive all winter long with no issues.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

It'll take a few trips to the strip to get it right. But once you figure out the clutch ingagement for a particular car it tends to stay with you.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yes they lock out of gears, the plate can't handle the cars torque. The MGW short throw will take care of that issue.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
Its all about tires... I still drive all winter long with no issues.
I used to think people that drove RWD cars during our winters up here were crazy, until I tried it myself for four years.. not that bad.

When you think about it, most cop cars, taxi's, bus's, commercial trucks are RWD as well, not to mention most Benz's and Beamers..
Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

"How much skill" is a subjective question. But N/A coyotes with manual transmissions can be very quick with tires, suspension, and the Driver Mod. Practicing is the FUN part!