5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

seal and piston ring questions

Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Default seal and piston ring questions

Looking to twin turbo my 89 lx. Going to keep the engine stock except for the required fuel upgrades, except maybe for a cam. What would you guys suggest for seals and piston rings? Planning on resealing everything, and would like fresh rings just because. Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I run Perfect Circle rings. Some of the best rings on the market. As for seals, cant go wrong w Felpro.

Please please please do your rear main seal and oil pan gasket correctly
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I have a question about this , and I may show my ignorance here but on a stock 5.0 why would you bother with twin turbo , would not a single turbo suffice in this case.

Is there an advantage to twin turbo on a stock block as apposed to single? Would you not be able to obtain the max boost on a stock block with single set up.
Im not questioning the knowledge you have , as Im not a turbo guy . Purely investigative question.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Less strain on the turbos, i suppose. One would probably work, less weight and less heat. Twins would get pretty hot I would think
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Remember, you are on a stock block......
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
I run Perfect Circle rings. Some of the best rings on the market. As for seals, cant go wrong w Felpro.

Please please please do your rear main seal and oil pan gasket correctly
Thanks :-) what do you mean with the rear main and oil pan gaskets?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
I have a question about this , and I may show my ignorance here but on a stock 5.0 why would you bother with twin turbo , would not a single turbo suffice in this case.

Is there an advantage to twin turbo on a stock block as apposed to single? Would you not be able to obtain the max boost on a stock block with single set up.
Im not questioning the knowledge you have , as Im not a turbo guy . Purely investigative question.
It's just because it's what is available to me. Was going to do a blower but sisters husband decided he wanted to use it after all, and offered the twin turbos to me.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
Remember, you are on a stock block......
II know. They can handle 5-9 pounds of boost, or at least that's the rumor. I plan to test that. And if it blows up...there's my excuse for an r block build :-P
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
II know. They can handle 5-9 pounds of boost, or at least that's the rumor. I plan to test that. And if it blows up...there's my excuse for an r block build :-P
well played sir , well played
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
Thanks :-) what do you mean with the rear main and oil pan gaskets?
Don't try and install your rear main seal with the #5 cap still on. Not the correct way to do it. For the pan - make sure the gasket is set correctly in the groove on the timing cover and #5 cap. After you get it all put back together, take some black rtv and smooth it over that same area.

Oil leaks suck.

Also be sure you gap your rings correctly. I do 0.020 top ring, 0.024 bottom ring on an N/A set up. You will need to open yours up a little bit due to the boost.

While we're on the topic of oil & rings & boost, may want to look at switching from the factory pcv set up. As your rpm builds, your boost will build, especially with twins. If you opened up your rings as suggested, the boost will create blow by as expected. This will greatly increase crankcase pressure. A lot of turbo guys switch to a breather + catch can set up because the pcv system can't ventilate the crankcase pressure effectively. This pressure has to go somewhere as new pressure from the turbos is getting past the rings. It usually finds its way out via the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, etc.

Theres your circle of life between boost and rings. Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: seal and piston ring questions