4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Water in the rear foot well

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:46 PM
MordFustang93

Default Water in the rear foot well

There's water collecting in my rear passenger foot well and I can't seem to find out where it's coming from. It hasn't rained in over 2 weeks but the water hasn't dried up. I had the A/C on the entire day and the puddle grew. Any chance the two are related? There's no rips or leaks in the convertible top and windows.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

One of the most common causes of water dripping inside the car is because of a clogged drain. If the evaporator drain becomes restricted, the water backs up in the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning) case. The case is designed to allow water to travel to the bottom and out the drain tube. The case is not designed to be completely water tight in the event the drain becomes clogged. Sometimes if excess water remains in the case, some of it can blow out of the AC vents. In extreme cases the water can damage the blower motor and/or short out the blower resistor. Usually the blockage is caused by debris in the case, like leaves or dirt. Many times the evaporator drain can be cleared by blowing compressed air into the drain from the firewall side. A metal coat hanger can also be used to stick into the drain tube to loosen the debris and allow it to exit with the water.

Another common cause of water entering the passenger compartment can be from a faulty seal which is located between the HVAC case and the firewall. The water can drain out of the tube (unrestricted) – then run back to the firewall and leak into the passenger compartment, underneath the carpet. This is actually quite common with vehicles that don’t use a rubber “L” shaped hose on the plastic drain tube. Chrysler dealers (especially when vehicles are still under warranty) will sometimes install a simple rubber o-ring onto the plastic drain. When the water starts to run back on the underside of the tube towards the firewall it meets the o-ring. When water touches the o-ring, that causes it to drip downward instead of traveling the full distance to the firewall and entering the passenger compartment past the faulty seal.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 AM
MordFustang93

Thanks JJ Glo that was extremely informative. Time to find a DIY on how to do it
Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 AM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

When I bought my Mustang and it had 2 pipes of pipe cut off that I believe run from the radiator to the AC/Heater. I'm guessing it was because of the same problem, it must have been leaking like your car, because the Heater doesn't work now, it just blows cold air. I still haven't fixed it.

They're the two hoses shown in this pic, it's not the same car, but they're in the same location.

Can anyone verify what those hoses are for?

Last edited by JJ Glo; 07-11-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 AM
MordFustang93

Found this video, makes cleaning the drain look super easy.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:54 AM
MordFustang93

Found this video, makes cleaning the drain look super easy.