Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Coolant overboiling from overflow tank after flush

Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Horylev1145

Default Coolant overboiling from overflow tank after flush

Car was running coolant temps of about 210, 220 at the highest the other day. Decided to do a flush hoping to bring it down (drained everything, took out thermostat and reassembled, flushed from top of radiator everything coming out the upper radiator hose, put thermostat back in, added coolant and "burped" the system). Car ran good for the following two days never going over 202. Today i put in a short throw shifter and took it for a drive after maybe 10 mins tops. Car heated up pretty quickly getting to 215. Noticed coolant boiling out of the overflow tank just after i got back. Let it sit for about 30 mins, turned it on and again starts heating up quickly at idle and also noted the fan was not running.

Any help is appreciated. Also what is a good or normal temp to be running and what would be considered too hot?

Cars a 2005 gt 65000 miles basically stock. No leaks from any hoses, oil looks good no water/coolant. Car called for 13.6q dry fill after the flush but only needed 8q to fill. I used Zerez g-05 coolant 50/50.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Few things possible here.

First, my car never goes over 194* and it gets in to the 90's here and my car is black. So 220* is hot!

Second, are you sure your thermostat is functioning properly?

Third, what ratio of anti freeze to water did you use? (Do you park your car in the winter?)

Fourth, with the car running and at operating temp, could you feel the fluid moving from the radiator to the block?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Horylev1145

Good to know i assumed over 200 was not to good as my other car was 190's.
I have no reason to assume that it isnt working properly. Not too sure my temp gauge in the dash is working tho. Any way to test that or should i start with replacing that?
I used 50/50 ratio, bottled water if that makes any difference. But i was confused as to why it only needed 8q when max fill was 13.6q.
And when i first filled it and "burped" it i could feel it flowing. Although today after letting it idle i felt it and it was hotter then its ever been and seemed pressurized. I couldnt squeez it if i tried but i assumed thats just because the pressure built up.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:53 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

The radiator fan should turn on and run at low speed when the coolant reaches 214 F, and at high speed when it reaches 225 F with the A/C turned off. It should run constantly when the A/C is turned on.
If it's not running, then either a fuse is blown, or the coolant temperature sensor, relay, electrical connector, or wiring is bad.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Few things possible here.

First, my car never goes over 194* and it gets in to the 90's here and my car is black. So 220* is hot!

Second, are you sure your thermostat is functioning properly?

Third, what ratio of anti freeze to water did you use? (Do you park your car in the winter?)

Fourth, with the car running and at operating temp, could you feel the fluid moving from the radiator to the block?
Then your car is a freak!

First, how are you reading the temps? The car has no coolant temp sensor, only a head temp sensor and the fan should come on high speed at 220* head temp. I have my high speed set to 195, so my head temps never go over 200.

Change the overflow cap and verify that the high speed fan is running. It should come on if you just let the car sit and idle. It will overheat if the fan isn't working, so get it fixed.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Horylev1145

The fan turns on when i turn the ac on so id assume thats working fine. I did some more asking around and everyone said i probaly had an air pocket in the system.

I jacked up the front of the car trying to keep the overflow tank at the highest point and let the car run at idle up to 200* while squeezing the upper radiator hose a good 50-60 times as it warmed up. So far it seems to have fixed the problem. No overflow/boiling or anything of that nature.

Car still runs hotter then id like. 190-200 when driving and up to about 215 when sitting still but the more i looked around that seems to be normal for these engines.

Also i was thinking since the car called for 13.6q and only needed 8 to fill after the flush i had about 5q of water possibly throwing off my coolant/water ratio. I will test that tomorrow once its cooled down.

And im reading the temps through the "torque" app for the android. Plugs into the obd 2 port and connects through bluetooth. Only reason i got the app was because i know the stepper motors for our gauges have been known to go out.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Horylev1145
The fan turns on when i turn the ac on so id assume thats working fine. I did some more asking around and everyone said i probaly had an air pocket in the system.

I jacked up the front of the car trying to keep the overflow tank at the highest point and let the car run at idle up to 200* while squeezing the upper radiator hose a good 50-60 times as it warmed up. So far it seems to have fixed the problem. No overflow/boiling or anything of that nature.

Car still runs hotter then id like. 190-200 when driving and up to about 215 when sitting still but the more i looked around that seems to be normal for these engines.

Also i was thinking since the car called for 13.6q and only needed 8 to fill after the flush i had about 5q of water possibly throwing off my coolant/water ratio. I will test that tomorrow once its cooled down.

And im reading the temps through the "torque" app for the android. Plugs into the obd 2 port and connects through bluetooth. Only reason i got the app was because i know the stepper motors for our gauges have been known to go out.
I only drive my cars in the summer so I installed a 160 thremostat in my GT and a 170 in my GT500 & set the fan turnon points...
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

expansion tank cap not sealing and letting pressrure out?
my v6 used to go very high...changed the cap and all was good
Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

My Jeep had similar issues. turned out to be the heater core leaking and the system not holding pressure/ boiling the coolant
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Using the temp sensor I can read with OBD tool (not my tuner) I would like to put a gauge on the top of the radiator though. I set my value to turn on at 194, the only time I've seen/heard my fan on was idling for 15 minutes on a hot day. Generally runs very cool but then again I am running more water than anti-freeze so my heat displacement should be better than someone running more anti-freeze.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant overboiling from overflow tank after flush