Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Screw it, let's blow some money.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Default Screw it, let's blow some money.

Hello again gents,

So I recently sold some hardware that goes bang and the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Currently I have a set of projects I'm working on. I need to install my gears and bushings installed at some point, but I'm waiting on a garage. Should be signing a lease tomorrow with one so that'll be nice.

Anyways, I already have plans to do a GT500 Supercharger conversion, and I've set that $$$ apart already. Really I'm trying to figure out what to get that would complement that well.

My thing is I don't like spending money on things twice, or on things that aren't terribly worthwhile. That said, I love buying brand name, top of the line components. Do it right the first time.

So what're some suggestions?

I've talked to the guys at Griggs racing and they said they're lowest cost kit would be like 4k. A couple grand more than I want to spend right now. They told me I could build the kit piece mail, but that it would be more expensive. Again, I hate spending more money than I need to.

Other option is a full exhaust. I've done some research and the two brands I really like are Borla and Stainless Works. I'd be getting them Ceramic coated before I installed them as well. Either of these systems would be pushing my budget.

Other options include:

Visual upgrades. Not a huge fan of these at this stage. I like the sleeper look of the Bullitt.

Getting started on my sound system. Might be worthwhile, but I'm waiting off on this one until I complete my supercharger system as it relocates the alternator. Gotta know what I can do before I start spending money.

More power upgrades. I'm pretty limited on this one, and honestly they don't make a whole lot of sense. With this Supercharger Conversion, I'll be making about 450 crank HP, and that's about as much as I want to make before I break into the block, so any power adders I do mean I turn down the boost. Not necessarily bad, but not quite as worthwhile. I wouldn't get the full value of the mods until I rebuild the motor. The reason I'm considering exhaust is that I would love a more aggressive sound, and doing a supercharger I think it might be a good idea. Opinions?

Any other ideas?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If you want to supercharge, definitely get a full exhaust. It will compliment every other mod and sound awesome. Also, look in to MAC, they are reasonably priced and solidly built with the largest collectors of any brand. You can buy them ceramic coated or in chrome (I sent my chrome ones away to get ceramic coated). I have the Mac longtubes and ProChamber (crossover) and the fit and finish are excellent. With no other mods they gave me a very healthy and strong gain from mid range to redline and they sound great.

Wrote a thread here about my exhaust only gains: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...o-results.html

exhaust work with any forced induction is always a great way to build towards future proofing.

Mustang 5.0 mag did a header comparison and awarded MAC as the winenr fir their supercharged GT shoot out:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...s/viewall.html
Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I vote suspension. Power's no good if you can't put it to the pavement. No reason to buy something so expensive though just because you want to stick with a brand name. There are much cheaper options (not too cheap...) that will accomplish more than you can handle. Start with the handling section to see what would be the best route.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I vote suspension. Power's no good if you can't put it to the pavement. No reason to buy something so expensive though just because you want to stick with a brand name. There are much cheaper options (not too cheap...) that will accomplish more than you can handle. Start with the handling section to see what would be the best route.
Well the deal with suspension is I could save a few hundred dollars minimum by ordering it all at once. I hate spending money I don't need to.

Also, quality components are a must. There is a sign in a gun store i frequent: "The novelty of low price wears off long before the satisfaction of a quality product." Idk what you were thinking as far as suspension, but at some point I intend on doing a SLA setup, likely through Griggs
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Alrighty.

First off, if you need any parts for the GT500 conversion let me know. I decided against mine, and have a few pieces laying around that are for sale.

As far as exhaust, I would go with ARH for headers, they are the best. Pick the muffler of your choice via youtube videos. My car sounds like the following:

As far as suspension, I think it depends on what your goals are with the car. If you want it to be a 100% road course monster, go with griggs. If not, there are much more cost friendly options that are still high quality.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Man, I need someone to "donate" me some money for a supercharger... haha

I say definitely go with suspension upgrades... The only visual upgrades that I really like are wheels and maybe racing stripes.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I would think you could knock out both suspension and a decently-priced exhaust. Springs/shocks/struts/LCA/UCA and a panhard bar. Solid. Will outperform what 99% of drivers can throw at it. Then, LT headers and matching midpipe/mufflers of your choice. MAC and the BBK get good reviews, and won't break the bank. If you don't want to do it twice, get coated and opt for some good header gaskets. The suspension will help put power to the ground, and the exhaust will help both sound and power from the FI.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Well the deal with suspension is I could save a few hundred dollars minimum by ordering it all at once. I hate spending money I don't need to.

Also, quality components are a must. There is a sign in a gun store i frequent: "The novelty of low price wears off long before the satisfaction of a quality product." Idk what you were thinking as far as suspension, but at some point I intend on doing a SLA setup, likely through Griggs
You could also save a few hundred dollars by buying it piece by piece when parts are on sale.

No argument that quality components are a must, I'm just saying that you shouldn't discount other brands just because they're not Griggs or a package set. I'm riding on Koni shocks and struts, H&R springs, Fays2 watts link, and a couple other smalls bits that are all quality components that cost me half of that Griggs setup. The car handles well past my ability as a driver.

If you do decide to go the suspension route, I recommend you sit down and decide what you NEED. What is it about the car that needs to be improved? Do you need better traction? Is there too much body roll? Stuff like that. After you've decided that you build your suspension list based on that with quality parts. Then you wait until they go on sale!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Well I managed to read all the posts on my lunch break but I'll have to wait until tonight after work to really get into it and respond to all of them lol.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Shelby Performance parts has a killer deal right now on Borla catbacks... yes catback. $399 for the Borla touring catback.

Quick Reply: Screw it, let's blow some money.