Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Electrical Power gone, but Batterry OK

Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM
SSShaw

Default Mustang Electrical Power gone, but Batterry OK

I have a 2005 Mustang V6 that I bought new. It has 70000 miles on it. I baby this thing and it looks and drives brand new. Today my wife and I went somewhere and when we both got out of the car, I shut the driver's door first, while the passenger door was still open. I noticed that the window had not dropped and when I had shut it, the window was not in the normal position. It had remained up when I opened the door ans stayed up when I closed it. This was an indication that something was wrong. I opened the door and the window still didn't drop. I inserted my key back into the ignition switch and discovered that there was no electrical power at all. It was as if my battery had been removed. I tried the key over and over, but nothing happened. Now for the weird part. My wife was watching me this whole time that I was trying revive the car. She then shut the passenger side door and the power came back on. The car started right up as if nothing had happened. The radio had reset all of the stations. It was as if the battery had been disconnected and then reconnected. Besides the radio, everything was now working just fine. I am unsure if closing the passenger door had revived it or if it was just a coincidence. I am now afraid to drive the car. What if I had been traveling and the power went off? If I had hit something, the air bag would not have even worked.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks so much.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Check your battery terminals, they may be loose or corroded.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From 05, 06 and to a lesser extent thru 08, this model of Mustang, the S197, suffers from a chronic water leak that affects the Smart Junction Box (SJB) which is located inside the passenger side front kickpanel. The leak eventually corrodes some of the SJB's connections and causes all sorts of gremlins although complete loss of electrical power is a new one for me.

Hopefully, it's just a loose battery cable or some other power feed and NOT related to the water leak issue.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM
SSShaw

I can hardly believe this, but the positive battery terminal had worked its way lose. I had the battery installed two years ago. I'm not sure what could have happened. What had me confused, and why I didn't immediately check to battery, was that the car was completely dead and then started and ran perfectly, without me doing anything to it. It has been my experience that I would at least get a clicking sound if the battery terminal was loose. I'm glad I found it. I also inspected the passenger kick panel, but did not see any damage or corrosion.

Does anybody know where the car may leak from? Can I try to make sure it is sealed?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

It's a bolt / nut...it aint that big of a deal. There was no damage done. It was probably loose. You could be chase your tail and worry about it starting the car on fire, etc... but I wouldn't worry about it. As for the leak, you will usually get wet carpet , etc around the passenger floor and kick panel. It's because the drain hole in the bottom of the car gets plugged usually with debris. If you want more info, you can search this forum and get plenty of hits.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The TSB related to the leak is NOT due to the drain hole debris which is ALSO a problem but only dumps water on the floor and does NOT affect the SJB. The TSB related leak is from the cowling.