Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

289 or 302 in 96 base

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Darrion Barras

Default 289 or 302 in 96 base

Like the title says,I want to put a 289 or 302 into a 96 base.I recently began to suffer with transmission issues and I think a blown headgasket.I need advice,suggestions,will this work?can I bypass all the computers in the car if there are any.any and every suggestions or help will be appreciated
Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Problems you will face with trying to eliminate all the computer stuff in the trans mission. You would need to go to either a manual trans, an automatic aod, or spend a lot of money on a standalone trans controller to use the aode trans.

getting a 302 or any carbed engine running is simple because there is no fuel injection to worry about and ignition can be as simple as a ford duraspark II or msd controller. fuel delivery can be setup a couple ways . If the 302 is old enough you can use a mechanical pump drivin from the eccentric on the engine , but you would need to drop the tank to change the fuel pick to the old style and run new lines.

You can use the electric pump in the tank if you get your self a fuel pressure regulator designed to work with a carb. This will set fuel pressure to around 7 psi while using the same lines that are on the car now.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Darrion Barras

So your saying dont try and get around the computers?would i have to change or modify my motor mounts to drop it in?and would I have to get a different transmission with either of these motors?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:39 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you want a street legal car, you'll have to do the 4.6L mod motor vs the 302. You can't go carb'd and stay street legal, and you can't swap in the 5.0L from the pre-OBDII 94/95 Mustang.
You're cheapest/easiest route is to buy a wrecked 96-98 GT or Cobra and start swapping stuff. You'll need a lot more than just the motor to make it work. Do a couple of searches here or in the V6 section and you'll find a list of the stuff you need. 9 times out of 10, the cost of the swap far outweighs the gains you'll get.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Im in ohio so I don't have any inspections to worry about. I ran a 68 carbed 302 in my 95 mustang for a few years till I finally sold it and got the efi car.

I don't know what trans you have Im assuming its the aode and Im not sure about that. But my 95 trans was a t5 and it bolted right up to the 302.

You cant use a aode trans on a carbed engine with out a standalone transmission controller. Your best off to either get an aod trans that uses the TV cable to set shift points. Or convert to a t5 manual.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Darrion Barras

Same here,Louisiana isnt too big on inspection as long as the car isnt all beat up or until you go to the city are.I do have the original transmission that came with the car so im going to guess its the aode and like I said,it only goes into reverse so I already know it has to get replaced.im not really worried about the cost,right now my main question is will the motor itself bolt right up to the car or will I have get mounts fabricates
Old 08-03-2013, 07:08 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I had no issues bolting it up to my 95 base. I used the mounts for a 95 gt and it sat in there like it was meant to be there.

I have some pics in my garage of the car and engine . I wish I would have kept that engine and put it in a better looking car. The engine was a 68 but was cammed and a set of 69 boss heads were fitted to it.
A lot of other little things done to it as well including the edelbrock accu drive timing gears.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You could always use the FI system that were used in the 5.0 fox cars.
Upper and lower intakes aren't super expensive and I think that Ford Racing carries a harness/computer for such swaps...
And yes, engine mounts are no issues like dawson mentioned since that body style used the 302 and even 351 (95 Cobra R)
Old 08-04-2013, 11:49 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Just throwing it out there, emissions is a national law - even if your state doesn't inspect. If you do some searching, you'll see that many insurance companies will not cover anything if you have made illegal modifications.

96-98 didn't use the same K member as the 94/95. It's not a direct plug/play situation without the right mounts.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Darrion Barras

Im not worried about emissions.here in the country its only the windshield that is stressed.I appreciate all the help and concerns but i really am only interested in the difficulties I may face putting the engine in.so far its my k member and mounts right?im changing the transmission so im assuming that problem will be eliminates

Quick Reply: 289 or 302 in 96 base