Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Build List for my '07 GT 4.6L 3v

Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Kaidis

Default Build List for my '07 GT 4.6L 3v

Hey everybody, just figured I'd throw up my build list! It's always nice to have input on all the parts I want to stuff into Marion haha.

Here's what she's got already! - K&N CAI, BBK offroad xpipe, flowmaster American Thunder Catback, Hurst billet short throw shift kit, and a BAMA 91 octane performance tune.

Here comes the list of goodies! They're in the order I'd like to get them, so if anyone has a suggestion for parts I should get before other parts, or things I should just get rid of from my build list all together or add feel free to chime in!

THE LIST!
#1 - BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body
#2 - BBK Ceramic Shorty headers
#3 - FRPP Intake Manifold
#4 - BBK Underdrive Pulley
#5 - Eaton Limited Slip Differential
#6 - FRPP CNC ported High Flow cylinder heads
#7 - BBK High flow aluminum fuel rails
#8 - FRPP EV6 80LB fuel injectors
#9 - MSD Blaster Coil On Plug Set
#10 - BBK Rear upper and lower control arms
#11 - SR Performance strut tower brace
#12 - Eibach Multi-Pro R1 Coil Over Kit
#13 - Brembo GT500 Front Big Brake Kit
#14 - FRPP Hot Rod Performance Camshafts
#15 - Ford Racing SVT rear axle Assembly and solid aluminum driveshaft
#16 - Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator, and 14in Performance Slim Electric Radiator Fan
#17 - Steeda Bumpsteer kit
#18 - J&M Adjustable aluminum panhard rod
#19 - Vortech Centrifugal Supercharger kit
#20 - Exedy Mach 600 Stage 4 clutch
#21 - Exedy hydraulic throwout bearing/Slave cylinder
#22 - Mishimoto Performance Transmission cooler
#23 - Ford racing laser etched valve covers (black)
#24 - Gauge cluster with nitrous pressure gauge and boost/vac gauge
#25 - Nitrous kit.... Cause with the rest of this list.... Why not? lol
#26 - Eibach Anti-Roll sway bar kit
Old 08-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

why not just sell it and buy a gt500 dude?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
why not just sell it and buy a gt500 dude?
Yes! Honestly selling and getting a GT500 is a better route.

Skip the shorty headers and go longtube.
Keep the stock COP’s
Check the most common cams for the supercharger, most guys who supercharge and have Hot Rods, take them off.
I also don’t see tires and wheels. If you plan to drag with a supercharger and nitrous, you need drag radials. You will also need better/wider tires to daily street driving.

Also once you hit 50 posts, ask for the AM code. You've easily got $15k worth of parts there. Getting a discount could help.

Last edited by JCON; 08-03-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the above. You're dumping a ton of $$ for what? About 150-200 additional RWHP? Just a stock 5.0 will gain you about 100 RWHP right off the bat and still give you a platform for more power. With your modded-out 4.6, your about peaked without another outlay of $$ plus a likely loss of reliability.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

#4 & #19 are at odds with each other, if you supercharge, you don't want to underdrive as you will get less boost and less power. #1, go with the ford racing 62mm throttle body, just more reliable. #5, you already have limited slip, either just replace the clutch packs or go with a locker or truetrac. #13, do you have the wheels that will clear the big brakes? #8, do you have fuel pumps that will support 80LB injectors, the stock ones won't even support 42LB injectors. #9, stick with the stock cops and just gap down the plugs if needed. With #19 & #25, you will need a built short block at a minimum, go above 450-500RWHP and you're running on borrowed time with the stock block. Is #19 an intercooled kit, you really should.
That ought to get you started. And as the others have stated, sit back and think about your goals before spending a ton of money, you have to answer if you are at a good starting point or if you should switch platforms before you go crazy.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Kaidis

Because I live in Canada, a GT500 here is upwards of $50,000 CDN. My build list totals around $18,000 plus the 19,000 I spent on the car itself. I will produce more RWHP and torque than a GT500 would, at a cost of about 20,000 cheaper than I'd be spending on a GT500, plus I love to work on cars. It's about the build, not just the power and numbers.

a lot of this list is just a pipe dream. and to be honest I'll probably only end up getting the first 5 components on the list, along with the suspension and brake upgrades.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kaidis
...a lot of this list is just a pipe dream. and to be honest I'll probably only end up getting the first 5 components on the list, along with the suspension and brake upgrades.
Then your list really DOESN'T make sense.

#1 makes no sense unless you're FI. Aftermarket TB's on a NA 4.6L adds no power plus #3 will have less impact on an NA engine as opposed to FI. And, as stated above, you already have an LSD. And the shorties are very limited in power addition irregardless of NA or FI.

Without FI, the CAI & tune is one of the bigger power adders you have unless you go with N2O. Cams and LT's would be the next best NA power adder and would THEN make the intake a more useful add-on.

Last edited by Nuke; 08-03-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kaidis
Because I live in Canada, a GT500 here is upwards of $50,000 CDN. My build list totals around $18,000 plus the 19,000 I spent on the car itself. I will produce more RWHP and torque than a GT500 would, at a cost of about 20,000 cheaper than I'd be spending on a GT500, plus I love to work on cars. It's about the build, not just the power and numbers.

a lot of this list is just a pipe dream. and to be honest I'll probably only end up getting the first 5 components on the list, along with the suspension and brake upgrades.
Ummm... you might make more rwhp than a bone stock gt500, but you arent going to have nearly the potential on the stock 4.6 block, and I dont see a built shortblock on your list. Your list needs to be re-ordered. #19 needs to #1. The rest should be contingent on how you feel about the car after accomplishing that upgrade.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Kaidis

Ok so maybe I should have titled this post differently... hahaha "A Bunch of stuff I saw that I liked the look of and researched half of - Give me your opinions"

Breathegood, I'm not completely familiar with large scale builds like this so I do appreciate the input and probably should have said this to begin with. This would be the first LARGE project I've undertaken. So with that in mind I put this list together more in order of my ability to afford the pieces in a timeline. Not in the order that they should be purchased or put together on the vehicle. I also didn't look at my list when I said I'd probably only get the first 5 items on it. I should have said I'd probably only end up getting 5 items total off of it, the first few I remember naming were affordable minor power adders.(under $1000 +1-10hp)

And Nuke, from the numbers I've seen on a dyno after adding a TB and re-tuning with my similar set of bolt on's, on 05-09 gt's has produced about +6-10hp without FI so for the $300 that it would cost me to purchase the TB I'd say it's worth it for the money. I also am aware that the intake manifold for a NA vehicle isn't going to give me anything much in the way of power maybe 1-2hp if i'm lucky, but that purchase is more for the under-hood look of the part as opposed to it's gains. I just don't like the plenum covers on the stock 4.6L (and I like the way it looks with them removed even less)

edit: Also I chose the shorty headers because I already have a normal length bbk x pipe and didn't feel like buying a new one, to accompany headers that are also $700. $419 is all I'd be spending on headers for shorties, It fits my current budget, I'd get LT's if I had the extra $250 for the x pipe and didn't already have an aftermarket offroad xpipe. If I can find someone that wants to buy my current x-pipe I might choose to save an extra week or two for LT's

Last edited by Kaidis; 08-04-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Kaidis

Danz, Thanks for the input! That car in your sig looks like she's a beast!

I wasn't aware underdrive would take away from a supercharger! thanks for letting me know! I may never actually get to supercharge this particular car so I'll probably still get the underdrive pulley since it's pretty inexpensive.

I've been on disability so it only affords me the ability to put things in the <$1000 range into it without saving for months and months. Me personally I'd rather spend money on lots of smaller/affordable parts than save half the year to drop $4000-$6000 on a SC and then have my car off the road long enough for me to personally install it since Marion is my only vehicle right now.

I'm a welder by trade though so once I get back to working normally, It won't take so long to get that supercharger. I just don't know when I'll be back to work. (nerve damage in my arm and leg) I ejected myself out the windshield of a '95 jetta in 2007 actually, coincidentally enough, almost 6 years to the day! August 5th 2007. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and went through a stale yellow light, someone ran a red light turning left and T-boned me while i was doing about 35-40mph. Luckily I stayed conscious the whole time, and didn't break any bones. I have pictures of the aftermath but some of them are a little gruesome. 29 staples in my arm, as well as another roughly 20 stitches in different places on my neck, face and legs. There was also a 2" piece of my windshield stuck in my neck a few hairs away from the artery (thank whoever you believe in!) heh but I walked away with very little injury which the hospital told me under the circumstances was unheard of. In the long run though, the paramedics that put me in the ambulance said that If I hadn't been ejected, my left leg would have been pinched, and possibly required amputation. So I guess I'm happy about the outcome. If it had gone the other way, I may not be using the clutch in my car very easily!

As for this build list, If I were going to do it all, I'd definitely be starting with a 5.0L platform. In a perfect world I'd spend $25,000 on building the engine alone. For now I'll stick with my stock 4.6L block and at the most, redo the heads and cams, along with the other small stuff i've mentioned in the last post. My goal is 425rwhp for Marion, and I'd like to get there without FI for under $4000 if possible.

Edit: ALSO! quick question about N20. Say I just wanted to put the weakest jets available and just spray a small shot, in a stock '05-'09 gt for the sake of having a little fun with boost on the hwy, (I don't know what the weakest jet is but the smallest i've seen are 50hp) what else would you NEED to do in order to not explode the vehicle (if anything)

When I bought my tuner from American Muscle the guy I sent a couple questions to afterwards flat out suggested that I put nitrous in my GT knowing that the only other upgrades were a CAI and catback exhaust at the time. Not sure if he's just trying to get me to spend $700 and require a bunch of other stuff, or if I could just safely use a small shot every once in a blue moon without other upgrades.

Last edited by Kaidis; 08-04-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build List for my '07 GT 4.6L 3v