Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot refuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Default Cannot refuel

I was just at the gas station and I could not get the nozzle into the tank. The little door (the one on the inside) would not open. Not even with my fingers. It was the weirdest thing. I recent have been smelling gas inside from time to time too. Don't know if that's related or not. I recent installed a wifi ODBII device in but it's been off. Anyway, I took the device out and started the car for 15-30 seconds or so and tried again. This time I could get the nozzle in and get some nourishment in my car. Has anyone ever heard of such a happening?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:23 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

It's a new voided wraranty thing. The car knows when you've been mucking around and will refuse to let you refuel. There's currently half a dozen Mustangs just sitting at a gas station down the street from me, most likely from the same cause.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:25 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Since it is a manual release for the unleaded fuel nozzle....leave the diesel nozzle alone.....never had an issue in 3 years.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
It's a new voided wraranty thing. The car knows when you've been mucking around and will refuse to let you refuel. There's currently half a dozen Mustangs just sitting at a gas station down the street from me, most likely from the same cause.
Really?! I saw a station like that. I thought it was just a big Mustang meet-up. I didn't have time to stop though. Maybe I should go back there and give them some help.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
I was just at the gas station and I could not get the nozzle into the tank. The little door (the one on the inside) would not open. Not even with my fingers. It was the weirdest thing. I recent have been smelling gas inside from time to time too. Don't know if that's related or not. I recent installed a wifi ODBII device in but it's been off. Anyway, I took the device out and started the car for 15-30 seconds or so and tried again. This time I could get the nozzle in and get some nourishment in my car. Has anyone ever heard of such a happening?
Hello MustangInTexas,

Even though the issue corrected itself, I recommend you get your vehicle checked out at your Ford Dealer. They’ll be able to let you know if there is work needed, or if this is normal. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area if needed.

Deysha
Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Man, talk about big brother! That means that Ford had to implement a latch mechanism to lock you out of the fuel door? It seems excessive.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 AM
JTS64

The Fuel door tab has two latches on each side that needs to be pressed to allow it to open. I learned this because at the gas station I use one of the pumps has a smaller nozzle than the other pumps so it will not work with my mustang. And I shall forever be reminded of this as I drove across the street to the Ford Dealer where my so called friend works and was shamefully shown that it does indeed work. And I am constantly reminded of it.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Man, talk about big brother! That means that Ford had to implement a latch mechanism to lock you out of the fuel door? It seems excessive.
I was just being a smart-***.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

OP you must have the new All Electric model. Thats not a fuel port. Thats where you plug the power cord in.

Matthew
Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I was just being a smart-***.
Man, I sold out on that one. lol.

OP you must have the new All Electric model. Thats not a fuel port. Thats where you plug the power cord in.
I got the sarcasm there!