AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!

Which exhaust option would be more effective?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Which exhaust option would be more effective?

Alright fellow exhaust enthusiast howdy. So a little bit about my system. It's a 2000 v6 true divorced dual with 2.5 tubing and flow master supper 44s. So otherwise stock. I'm looking at two options to add on. The first is the bbk shorty headers. Would these work with stock cats? What would the difference in sound? and I know minimal gains on hp. Also if I have less money available I was looking at the flow master mini mustang cats. What are the advantages of these? Would these throw some codes? I'm sorry for so many questions I just want to make the right choice
Old 10-04-2013, 02:42 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Any shortie headers will work with a normal length mid-pipe. So you'll be okay using the BBK shorties. As far as sound, the car will be a little throatier but not much because the stock cats are still restricting flow and volume.

Switching to any high flow catalytic convertor will increase power and sound. It's also hard to say if you will throw a check engine light too. This really depends on how free flowing the cats are. Sometimes they flow too well and the cat efficiency light goes off. If that's the case, you can always install MIL Eliminators to take care of the check engine light.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Shane
Old 10-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks shane! I might just go with the cats and now that yall just released raxioms LED tail lights which have been a wish of mine for a while get those too. Y'all are awesome as always!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Upgrading to highflow cats is a good idea. Plus once you're running high flow cats, and add BBK shorties down the road- you'll see a larger gain from the headers.

Thanks for the kind words too! It's very much appreciated. If you have any other questions, feel free to give me a shout!

Shane