Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and Need help purchasing new wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Andrea53

Default New and Need help purchasing new wheels!

Hi All -

I'm completely new and kind of lost when it comes to buying new wheels for my Mustang. A few months ago I bought a 07 Mustang Convertible in Torch Red and it still has the stock wheels on it..which for me is an eye sore. I know this has already probably been posted on the forums somewhere, but since I'm new at this I can't really get myself around

Anyways, the tires on my car right now are 21560r16 - so that means the rims are 16in, correct? I would like to have 18 in wheels at least for the look I want to go with my car. So what size do I look for when buying new rims? I know there is offset issues and such, which again I'm lost. I want to find a good deal on all the Mustang websites, but unfortunately just don't know what I'm looking for..so I don't want to end up buying the wrong set!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!! thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andrea53
Hi All -

I'm completely new and kind of lost when it comes to buying new wheels for my Mustang. A few months ago I bought a 07 Mustang Convertible in Torch Red and it still has the stock wheels on it..which for me is an eye sore. I know this has already probably been posted on the forums somewhere, but since I'm new at this I can't really get myself around

Anyways, the tires on my car right now are 21560r16 - so that means the rims are 16in, correct? I would like to have 18 in wheels at least for the look I want to go with my car. So what size do I look for when buying new rims? I know there is offset issues and such, which again I'm lost. I want to find a good deal on all the Mustang websites, but unfortunately just don't know what I'm looking for..so I don't want to end up buying the wrong set!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!! thanks
Yes, 215-60 R16 is a 215 mm wide tire with a 16" rim (R16). Without complicating things and to get you the right wheels and tires, go to americanmuscle.com. Look at the wheels and tires. They have different wheel sizes and widths. The site has them specifically for your vehicle, 2005-2009 body style. Their prices are awesome, and they ONLY sell mustang parts so you know that what you get will fit your vehicle. There is no difference between the wheels/tires that will fit your car, V6, or that will fit a GT. Good luck, and if you have any questions after searching let me know.

In the forum, there is a search button at the top right side of the forum page, right above the thread list. Use this to find some threads that might be helpful.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Personally, I think black wheels look really good on Torch Red Mustangs. I helped a buddy plasti-dip his wheels black and also painted his calipers red to match the car. It turned out pretty good.
In reference to wheel choices and sizes, you will receive mixed feedback. I would recommend 18 inch wheels.

If you are interested in seeing what black wheels look like on your Mustang, you can plasti-dip your stock wheels using a rattle can (4 coats) from Home Depot. If you don't like it, you can peel it off with no issues.

In reference to wheel packages, I would highly recommend checking out reputable companies such as American Muscle and Cruizen Concepts.

Name:  Brents2010Mustang_wheel.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  Brents2010Mustang.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  149.5 KB

Good luck!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 10-07-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Rims are one of the things that can drastically change the appearance of your car Check out American Muscle for wheel packages. They have pretty good prices. If you don't want o go that route , you can at least get an idea of wheel and tire sizes. Don't forget to order lowering springs as well.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Haha...just because you buy new wheels doesn't mean you have to lower your car. It is an upgrade that many of us choose to do on the forums though.

One thing that you will have to do is buy TPMS sensors. 2007 model year was what is called a band sensor. They are a pain in the rear to get new, swap, etc..., do instead choose to go with valve stem mounted TPMS sensors. They only serve to throw a low tire pressure light, but it will get annoying. You can go without them and save about 120-150 bucks.

If you go to americanmuscle.com, you can order a complete wheel and tire package (with TPMS sensors) and they will ship them ready to go to your door. They also order them by model year so no worries about back spacing, etc... They have a look for virtually anything you might want to go for.

Dont forget to check your local Craigslist too. Frequently you can find great wheels with and without TPMS sensors at great prices. Just keep in mind that you will have to have sensors and then maybe new tires too.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Andrea53

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Personally, I think black wheels look really good on Torch Red Mustangs. I helped a buddy plasti-dip his wheels black and also painted his calipers red to match the car. It turned out pretty good.
In reference to wheel choices and sizes, you will receive mixed feedback. I would recommend 18 inch wheels.

If you are interested in seeing what black wheels look like on your Mustang, you can plasti-dip your stock wheels using a rattle can (4 coats) from Home Depot. If you don't like it, you can peel it off with no issues.

In reference to wheel packages, I would highly recommend checking out reputable companies such as American Muscle and Cruizen Concepts.

Good luck!
That looks great. I agree, black rims look wonderful with torch red. That is the look I think I want. However, there is SO many options that it makes it extremely hard to pick any...I do like black rims with some red accent, etc. That's all you have to do to plasti-dip? Maybe I'll try that. Does it not peel after awhile??
I live in the mountains and I have new tires on my 16 in rims - winter is coming up so I might have to wait anyways for new rims/tires.
thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I would check out AmericanMuscle's website for various wheel & tire packages that will look great on your car. As far as sizes go, you'll get all sorts of opinions, but the most common are 18's & 20's.

Best thing to do is search around and look at all the different styles, colors, sizes, etc...and then start narrowing things down.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

The plastidip thing is really cheap and easy to do. It can be peeled off but it doesnt peel off super quick like you might think. There's guys in Colorado doing it and if it can survive a couple of seasons out here, it can certainly survive in NC
Old 10-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Andrea53

Yes, you are probably right wcgman

Thanks everyone
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

We've got loads of Mustang wheels up on our site as well if you'd like to take a look around and see what we've got! PM/Email or call me if you have any questions! - 714.582.3330 extension 8002, or ask for Jurrian!

Mustang Wheels

Quick Reply: New and Need help purchasing new wheels!