Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraped against a wall

Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
dastanley

Default Scraped against a wall

Hey all, I'd appreciate some advice. While moving into my new place, I was parked in a temporary unloading zone. I was hurrying to get out to allow some other people to use the space, and ended up scrapping against a wall. You can see the pics below.

I don't really want to pay to fix this at a dealer right now (I'm simultaneously dealing with a far more serious flooding issue). Do you think there is any harm in leaving it as is, other than the appearance?

Alternately, do you have any suggestions for where to look to get a replacement bumper cover? I checked http://newtakeoff.com/, but couldn't find any parts matching the make and model of my car (2006 Gray).

Old 10-21-2013, 06:17 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Well, it's definitely not going to do anything but be an eyesore to you. It looks pretty badly scraped up, but unless I was next to it I couldn't tell you if the bumper is sandable or not. Your best bet if you don't want to take it to the dealership is to just grab estimates from a few paint and body shops. Word of advice, it's not always the nicest looking highest rated paint and body shop that will do the best work. Sometimes those guys get their money ripping off honest folks. Good luck man.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 PM
dastanley

Thanks man. Yea the scrape is pretty bad. I unfortunately just moved to the Boston area, but I'll ask around if anyone knows a good body shop... and if I find one, I'll let you guys know.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 PM
dastanley

I've seen there is a similar post here by mustangspotential, and it looks like he used touchup paint, which I might consider as well.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...st-a-wall.html
Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Yeah no problem. I saw that post too and was gonna link it to you but I saw that you had replied to it already. Yeah can't help you in Boston, I only know where the good drinks are there hahahaha
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Agreed that shouldnt cause any problems. I'd take it to a body shop when you have the funds available. That looks totally repairable.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dastanley
I've seen there is a similar post here by mustangspotential, and it looks like he used touchup paint, which I might consider as well.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...st-a-wall.html
You could definitely try it in the mean time while you gather funds to repair it. Yours is, unfortunately, much worse than mine was though. However, touch up paint isn't expensive so give it a whirl.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 AM
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member

I'd be concerned about rust on the steel body panel... Plastic bumper you're fine though.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 PM
dastanley

Thanks guys. My car has been in the dealership for the past... err... 3 weeks getting a flooding issue diagnosed and then back and forth with the insurance company. I'm probably just going to over-winter the car at my friends' carport and then deal with this in the spring.

I did buy some touch-up paint though, so I might give this a try - just a single layer on the body. As dared3vil0 said, I am a bit concerned about rust.