Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

'13 Mustang GT "Wheel hop" issue?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Drew_87

Default '13 Mustang GT "Wheel hop" issue?

I purchased my 2013 Mustang GT in May, currently at 8k miles. I haven't had any major issues until 3 months ago, when I got on it a little bit (<5,000rpm). The steering got very wobbly, and the wheel starting "hopping" almost like I had a flat tire or hit something. I pulled over, didn't see anything wrong, so I drove off and didn't have any more issues. I'm concerned bc it happened for the THIRD time today! Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? I called my local dealership but the repair center won't be open until Monday, and i'm worried about driving it until then

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Drew_87

**Also I should add, she is completely stock, no suspension mods
Old 11-23-2013, 08:25 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

"wheel hop" usually refers to the back wheels bouncing under hard acceleration. It sounds like you have an issue with the electric steering (search the other threads...others have had issues with it).
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Drew_87

Thanks for the response, I did some research into electrical steering issues on this forum, but what I experience feels like a tire issue maybe? Once I got it up to about 50, the tire (feels like the front passenger side) started to go "ba bump, ba bump" like I had a flat tire. Slowing down didn't help, I pulled into a turning lane and slowed to 15mph it still kept happening. Sorry for the poor description, but the best comparison that I can come up with is getting a flat tire, except all four tires are fine. After pulling over, it drove fine but I don't want to ignore the issue.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:31 AM
AFMarksman

I had a similar problem on another vehicle. In my case, the stick-on wheel weights had come off. Check the inside of your wheel for missing lead wheel weights. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

If it was a tire weight it wouldn't drive fine after pulling over.

Lots of info here...https://mustangforums.com/forum/sear...archid=4797061

Last edited by STANGmole; 11-24-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I had the same issue as well, but it's not just us, everybody experiences that issue, and the best way to fix it would be with a kit just like this one from Kenny Brown:

Kenny Brown Performance Rear Grip Kit Mustang

There are other options available that we have such as Whiteline, and Hotchkis!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ModBargains
I had the same issue as well, but it's not just us, everybody experiences that issue, and the best way to fix it would be with a kit just like this one from Kenny Brown:

Kenny Brown Performance Rear Grip Kit Mustang

There are other options available that we have such as Whiteline, and Hotchkis!
Way to NOT read the OP's post.

His FRONT tires started hopping.

Its a steering or suspension issue with the front of the car.

Hey OP, I would get the car up on jack stands take the tires off the front and for starters inspect the tires for belt separation. It will be apparent because the sidewall will be distorted where the defect is.

Also check your struts and control arms for damage. With the tire back on the knuckle, grab the top and bottom of the tire and try push the top in while pulling the bottom out and vice-versa. Also try to move the wheel (tire). There should be no movement.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Drew_87

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Derf00, I don't have jack stands but I do have an appointment this morning with the Ford repair center, so I will bring up all of those points you recommended looking into. I'll post an update later today, hopefully with some sort of resolution
Old 11-26-2013, 09:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Drew_87
I purchased my 2013 Mustang GT in May, currently at 8k miles. I haven't had any major issues until 3 months ago, when I got on it a little bit (<5,000rpm). The steering got very wobbly, and the wheel starting "hopping" almost like I had a flat tire or hit something. I pulled over, didn't see anything wrong, so I drove off and didn't have any more issues. I'm concerned bc it happened for the THIRD time today! Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? I called my local dealership but the repair center won't be open until Monday, and i'm worried about driving it until then
Originally Posted by Drew_87
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Derf00, I don't have jack stands but I do have an appointment this morning with the Ford repair center, so I will bring up all of those points you recommended looking into. I'll post an update later today, hopefully with some sort of resolution
Hello Drew_87,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I’m glad to learn you’ve made an appointment already. Also, I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '13 Mustang GT "Wheel hop" issue?