Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7 stock exhaust variations?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 AM
WhiteHorse3.7

Default 3.7 stock exhaust variations?

Hey all,

I may be sticking my foot in my mouth here, but I haven't found much information on this. In short, I'm convinced that my stock '12 V6 with Performance Package is louder and deeper in exhaust tone than other 3.7s I've heard on the streets.

I recently was wandering around the dealer lot while my car was in service, and I think I have confirmed my suspicions. The below images are from two 2013 3.7 V6 Mustangs on the dealer lot.

Name:  IMG_20130518_152452_632.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  23.9 KB
Name:  IMG_20130518_151844_991.jpg
Views: 4620
Size:  35.6 KB

My car has the latter style exhaust tips, which appear to be less common. I couldn't see any clear correlation between options or packages and the style of exhaust tips.

Does anyone know any more about any variations in the stock exhaust on these cars?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Did you buy the car new? I dont think the exhaust was changed at all between the PP vs all other models. If the car is used someone probabaly just changed the mufflers. Can you get under the back of the car and read what the mufflers say? If they are aftermarket the makers name will be on the muffler.

Matthew
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

The performance pack has nothing at all to do with the engine or exhaust - it's all about and suspension. Judging by your join date, you probably bought the car new, so unless you changed the mufflers out yourself, we can't say that's a possibility. When new, my car had the same tips yours does, and mine is just a base car.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:54 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

These are photos of stock tips. For whatever reason, Ford uses a slightly more aggressive sounding exhaust for manual transmission 3.7s. The top photo is an exhaust tip for an automatic. This has been discussed a number of times. I think the reason you think yours sounds deeper or louder is because there are more automatic v6s than manual v6s lol.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:56 AM
WhiteHorse3.7

Originally Posted by hogasswild
These are photos of stock tips. For whatever reason, Ford uses a slightly more aggressive sounding exhaust for manual transmission 3.7s. The top photo is an exhaust tip for an automatic. This has been discussed a number of times. I think the reason you think yours sounds deeper or louder is because there are more automatic v6s than manual v6s lol.
My suspicions exactly I know the Performance Package is suspension only, so I couldn't pin it down to a package. Manual versus auto makes sense now, as the black car in my photo was a '13 manual PP (the only manual 3.7 on the entire lot

FWIW I did buy my car new, and I haven't (yet) done anything with the exhaust. I guess some aftermarket stuff might sound even better, but she can still sing in freeway underpasses

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Yep, the old Auto vs Manual Exhaust, I added the Cut and Clamp FRPP X-Pipe and it is a little louder yet. Stand behind an Automatic car with yours parked next to it and you can hear yours over the other.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Just one more reason to go buy an MT. They are kinda hard to find though in a v6.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

From Tousley Ford's web site, the only parts that are called out are the mufflers, and it's based on transmission (has nothing to do with whether the car has the performance package on it).

[ 7 ] Muffler 3.7 LITER, manual trans Right $226
[ 8 ] Muffler 3.7 LITER, manual trans Left $295
[ 7 ] Muffler 3.7 LITER, auto trans Right $278
[ 8 ] Muffler 3.7 LITER, auto trans Left $173
Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 PM
yes-her-name-is-STELLA

hey guys i own a stock 13 pp v6 with mt82 and i can tell you that it does not matter if you have a stick or auto the exhaust will be the same, although the pp does not state it comes with different mufflers, they definitely do, my pp has the wider exhaust tip.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yes-her-name-is-STELLA
hey guys i own a stock 13 pp v6 with mt82 and i can tell you that it does not matter if you have a stick or auto the exhaust will be the same, although the pp does not state it comes with different mufflers, they definitely do, my pp has the wider exhaust tip.
But the fact that you have a stick just reiterates the point. The MT has the wider exhaust tips. My base v6, 6MT, has the wider tips, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.7 stock exhaust variations?