Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

parking brake handle removal

Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

Default parking brake handle removal

i am replacing the handle because most of it broke off and I am trying to remove what is left...

there is a tiny splined shaft going into the side...it looks like the only thing holding it in place...How do I take it out?

I pulled on it with some small vise-grips, but it wouldn't come out...Does anyone know any tricks to removing it?

thanks
Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: parking brake handle removal

My manual is for a 1969. not sure if it is the same:

1. Make sure parking brake is completely released
2. remove all tension from the rear cables by backing off the jam nut and adjusting the nut from the equalizer.
3. Disconnect wire to the parking brake light (if so equipped)
4. Remove the parking brake front cable ball retaining clip from the clevis.
5. Remove the parking brake switch (if so equipped)
6. Disconnect the cable ball from the notch in the brake clevis (the u-shaped joiner at the end of the cable).
7. Remove the three screws that attach the control assembly to the left cowl inner panel.
8. Pull the control away from the cowl panel. Remove the hair pin retainer securing the front cable assembly to the contro assembly. Remove he control assembly.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Cogtx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: parking brake handle removal

ORIGINAL: redstallion

i am replacing the handle because most of it broke off and I am trying to remove what is left...

there is a tiny splined shaft going into the side...it looks like the only thing holding it in place...How do I take it out?

I pulled on it with some small vise-grips, but it wouldn't come out...Does anyone know any tricks to removing it?

thanks

Get a metal punch and hammer. Drive the pin in as far as it will go. Pull off the handle. Remove old pin. Replace with new handle and drive new pin into hole. Sounds easier than it really will be. I had to get the dremel out and slice off the plastic handle down the side. Then sprayed wd-40 and pb rust remover to get the pin to move. Used vise grips and needle nose to remove the pin. Good Luck....