V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Transmission dipstick tube bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM
guitarmaster

Default Transmission dipstick tube bolt?

I have a leak from my transmission dipstick tube and was wondering what is the best way to get to the bolt would be without taking too much apart? Should i lower the transmission?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:48 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

You should be able to get to it with the tranny in the car. You may need to unbolt the exhaust from the exhaust manifolds/headers to get more clearance, but a really long extension (e.g. 3 feet), a universal joint extension, and a 13mm socket will do the trick. Thread the extension/socket up from the back of the tranny to get a straight-ish shot at the bolt. Good luck...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 PM
guitarmaster

Originally Posted by petrock
You should be able to get to it with the tranny in the car. You may need to unbolt the exhaust from the exhaust manifolds/headers to get more clearance, but a really long extension (e.g. 3 feet), a universal joint extension, and a 13mm socket will do the trick. Thread the extension/socket up from the back of the tranny to get a straight-ish shot at the bolt. Good luck...
yea the thing is that i just got the top-end kit for the car and installed it and i want to do it without taking anything with a new gasket apart..the extensions are a SOB to get down in there with the exhaust manifold there. I replaced the o-ring when i had it apart but it was out of a big box of them i had but it obviously wasnt a good fit. lol but now i have the one from ford.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarmaster
yea the thing is that i just got the top-end kit for the car and installed it and i want to do it without taking anything with a new gasket apart
So? If you go up from underneath with a really long extension you don’t have to touch your top end. There is no gasket between the exhaust pipe and the exhaust manifold/header.

Originally Posted by guitarmaster
I replaced the o-ring when i had it apart but it was out of a big box of them i had but it obviously wasnt a good fit. lol but now i have the one from ford.
Yeah, I made the same mistake when I had the motor out of my wifey’s 3.8L earlier this year. I thought the spare o-ring I had would work, but the instant I put fluid in the tranny it started pouring out onto the garage floor. Got the right/overpriced o-ring from ford, installed it and its been drip free ever since.

Good luck...