Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Need some suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:25 AM
flmcgough

Default Need some suspension advice

I DD a 2000 Mustang GT Convertible, 5 speed, 66,xxx, and I need some advice regarding how to handle the suspension. The car will rarely, if ever, see use on the track; for the most part, I'm just driving it around town. The exception to that is that periodically (2-3 times per year) I drive from Columbus, OH to Baltimore, MD and back, around 1000 miles round trip. On this drive I go through West Virginia, and the past two times, the weather has been atrocious and I feel as though I'm going to slide off of the road (and in fact I did once). Driving through large amounts of snow isn't really a concern; it's more a matter of dealing with slushy highways and at most a few inches of snow. I'm planning on getting some 245/45-17 Blizzaks for the winter, and I use the same size Kumho Ecsta 4X for fairer weather.

My question is this: what suspension upgrades can/should I perform to maintain drivability around town--and especially in bad weather--while still improving handling? The suspension is bone stock, at least as far as I know (Ive owned it for 4 years, 20,xxx and haven't done any upgrades myself). I'm currently thinking of getting some Ford Racing "B" lowering springs, strange 10-way shocks and struts, and some LCAs, in addition to the Blizzaks mentioned above. If I were to do all of this at the same time, are there any other upgrades that I should do at the same time? And if I wanted to do more, what would be the next steps? Finally, are any of the upgrades that I've mentioned a bad idea given my situation?

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flmcgough
I DD a 2000 Mustang GT Convertible, 5 speed, 66,xxx, and I need some advice regarding how to handle the suspension. The car will rarely, if ever, see use on the track; for the most part, I'm just driving it around town. The exception to that is that periodically (2-3 times per year) I drive from Columbus, OH to Baltimore, MD and back, around 1000 miles round trip. On this drive I go through West Virginia, and the past two times, the weather has been atrocious and I feel as though I'm going to slide off of the road (and in fact I did once). Driving through large amounts of snow isn't really a concern; it's more a matter of dealing with slushy highways and at most a few inches of snow. I'm planning on getting some 245/45-17 Blizzaks for the winter, and I use the same size Kumho Ecsta 4X for fairer weather.

My question is this: what suspension upgrades can/should I perform to maintain drivability around town--and especially in bad weather--while still improving handling? The suspension is bone stock, at least as far as I know (Ive owned it for 4 years, 20,xxx and haven't done any upgrades myself). I'm currently thinking of getting some Ford Racing "B" lowering springs, strange 10-way shocks and struts, and some LCAs, in addition to the Blizzaks mentioned above. If I were to do all of this at the same time, are there any other upgrades that I should do at the same time? And if I wanted to do more, what would be the next steps? Finally, are any of the upgrades that I've mentioned a bad idea given my situation?

Thanks so much for the help!
Those are all solid choices. Believe it or not, upgraded suspension still works well in inclement weather, if you're on the right tires. (like you already mentioned)

I'd add to your list:

These subframe connectors
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-f...onnectors.html

These caster-camber plates
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...plates-94.html

These control arms
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...nsion-kit.html
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 AM
flmcgough

Great, thanks! Regarding the subframe connectors, I thought that since I have a convertible there are already subframe connectors on the car. Would I need to remove the current ones, or just add these? Could you give me a rough estimate for how much it might cost to have those installed? I think that I can handle the rest of the parts, but I don't know how to weld.

Finally, if I had to do these upgrades in stages, which ones should I start with? And which, if any, should be done at the same time as others?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Great, thanks! Regarding the subframe connectors, I thought that since I have a convertible there are already subframe connectors on the car. Would I need to remove the current ones, or just add these? Could you give me a rough estimate for how much it might cost to have those installed? I think that I can handle the rest of the parts, but I don't know how to weld.

Finally, if I had to do these upgrades in stages, which ones should I start with? And which, if any, should be done at the same time as others?
I had an 04 convertible, and IIRC, the factory subframe connectors were these puny little things which were tack welded into place. Welded in full length subframe connectors which attach to your seat bolts will still be a significant upgrade.

I would probably recommend the SFCs, then the control arms, then the CC-plates.

It's hard to guess on an installation charge. I would estimate that my local shop would install any of those parts for less than $100.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 PM
flmcgough

Quick question about the control arms: are the ones that you linked to adjustable? And the lower control arms are the more important of the two, correct?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:55 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Quick question about the control arms: are the ones that you linked to adjustable? And the lower control arms are the more important of the two, correct?
I linked to non adjustable arms, and I'd consider uppers and lowers equally important.