Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension upgrades now getting a thump, thump.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Default Suspension upgrades now getting a thump, thump.

So I finally installed my BMR non adj LCA, relo brackets, PHB and brace, Eibach pro kit springs, anti roll bar kit, and Koni struts/shocks and I'm getting a thump, thump, during turns coming from the driver rear. I TQed everything with the suspension under load so looking for ideas on what it could be.

Sound only comes when making slow turns. It does not sound like metal hitting metal. More like a dull thump, then half second later, thump.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Any chance your missing a bushing? Any chance something is in backwards therefore causing a rub and knock?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I had that issue with my BMR suspension but it was the sway bar it had come loose. Is your PHB adjustable?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Any chance your missing a bushing? Any chance something is in backwards therefore causing a rub and knock?
I honestly don't remember how the bushing on the shocks are suppose to go (it looks rather self explanatory to me but that doesn't mean I did it right) but they look right.

Is there a chance? Always. Do I think I did install something backwards? No. Sway bar, shocks, LCA's, PHB brace, relocation brackets can only be installed one way. I did install the PHB the opposite way that Steeda has theirs due to the zerks fittings only being accessible one way.

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
I had that issue with my BMR suspension but it was the sway bar it had come loose. Is your PHB adjustable?
Yeah I have the adj. BMR bar. Ill check to see if it came loose.

I purposely didn't post in the handling section as it doesn't get as much traffic but oh well.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Matt, What about the handbrake cable? If that is not secured, or was not put back correctly that could slap around. Otherwise, it would be good to re-read the directions and maybe you missed something?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Hey Matt, What about the handbrake cable? If that is not secured, or was not put back correctly that could slap around. Otherwise, it would be good to re-read the directions and maybe you missed something?
Handbrake/E brake cable is secure to the LCA's like directions instructed me to do I know its not that. I havent put the car back up on jacks yet to poke around but sounds like I am going to have to.

Matthew
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Allupinya
2nd Gear Member

have you talked to the company you bought the stuff from, they might be able to help you.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:46 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah good chance its that, shop that does a lot of my work have said they have seen it happen on quite a few of the S197's with that setup. Be a good place to start anyhow.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Allupinya
have you talked to the company you bought the stuff from, they might be able to help you.
I have three different manufactures (Eibach, BMR, and Koni) so until I can find where the noise is coming from it doesn't do much good to call yet.

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
Yeah good chance its that, shop that does a lot of my work have said they have seen it happen on quite a few of the S197's with that setup. Be a good place to start anyhow.
Are you talking about the PHB coming loose still? I am going to get my 4 wheel alignment done today after work so I planned on having the shop look into when they have it on the lift.

Matthew
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Did you torque all the fasteners with the suspension loaded at ride height?
Torquing with a fully drooped suspension will cause all sorts of problems you do not need...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension upgrades now getting a thump, thump.