Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Upgrade Worth It?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:12 PM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension Upgrade Worth It?

I have just recently become addicted to upgrading my 2006 V6, I really can't get enough of the Christmas morning feeling when new parts show up at my door.

I have been considering replacing the shocks, struts, and springs but want to know if it is really worth it? Keep in mind my car is a V6 stock base coupe with 87,000 miles. Will I notice this consistently as this is my daily driver or should I throw my money elsewhere for more power upgrades?

Any help is greatly appreciated in making the decision!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Absolutely it is worth it. There's not sense in putting more power in your car if you can't get it to the ground.

I put on Tokico D-Specs, N Springs, and BBK LCA's on mine all at once. I noticed a huge difference in turning the car. It felt like it wasn't as top heavy any more. Not to mention when I threw on a set of 3.73's, the car doesn't "squat down" under heavy acceleration, and that's a feeling I love.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah. Time for shocks for sure. You could easily just put a set of Koni SR.T shocks/struts on the car. It will make it better than new. This shock is the best value for a DD, in my opinion.
For a daily driver a great set of dampers are all you 'need'. If you also go with springs don't go to low nor to stiff for a daily driver. Take a look at Steeda Sport Springs as they would be great and are on sale right now.
While you have it apart be sure to put new strut mounts on as the old ones are shot by now. You are lucky they lasted this long. Ford GT500 strut mounts are a good value and upgrade.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

I guess I have been quite lucky, I've hardly ever had any maintenance done on the car besides the general oil changes and things. I just recently added a set of shiny new wheels and I'm looking to add performance rather than looks on the car all around. I figured with that many miles the suspension would be a good start.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM
ColinW627
1st Gear Member

I also forgot to ask, you mentioned the Steeda Sport Springs are on sale right now. Who has them on sale at the moment? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Vivid Racing
Former Sponsor

Oh yeah! You've got to do some sort of suspension modification to it. You will enjoy your driving experience a lot more. If you're looking to do something, shoot me a PM and i'll see what kind of deal i can get you on whatever you want.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Suspension mods are a must. FRPP-P springs, Steeda ProAction shocks and struts, j&m adj panhard bar, and gt500 strut mounts. Car handles MUCH better. Almost zero body roll.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

I've done several Mustang suspensions, though I am hardly an authority. Since it sounds like you have already addressed your wheels/tires, the suspension mods I'd recommend for the money are:

Steeda Sport Springs (on sale at their website) - $250
Koni STR.T Struts and Shocks - $410
GT500 Strut mounts - $110
Adjustable pan hard bar - $130

Figure that'll cost you less than $900 and provide a lot of performance.

Once you have your suspension in check I'd add some gears. Then maybe a GT brake upgrade. It's always smart to round out your upgrades by not focusing solely on one part of the driving experience i.e. don't spend your money solely on engine or suspension or brakes.

Last edited by artdohc; 02-11-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I have Steeda's too. I'm @ $249.99 and free shipping, which is a little more than they are currently. BUT, I've also got Koni's and for a good bit less than they sell them for, so I can get you out the door for a bunch less. Get them both and I'll do free shipping on both, which would put you out the door for about $670 as of today, 2/10.

We can talk options. There is no shortage of parts for the cars. At all. I can't really say you need to change springs, that's up to you. Might not want to lower the car, etc. But better dampers will help either way. A lot.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

Look at your tires first, then look at your tires again.
Plus at 87,000 how long are you going to keep your sixer.
I had one and they are fun, but what are your goals?

I have a V8 and will keep it till I die....so any and all upgrades make it worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade Worth It?