Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Coupe Build (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Default 1965 Coupe Build (Pic Heavy)

I'm gonna try to keep this up as I go along, so it might be a few years old by the time I'm done. I haven't finalized my plans yet, other than it's going to have some creature comforts and a lot of modern components. I already have a few questions that I'll list as I go.

What I'm starting with:
1965 C-Code Coupe with a 3 speed.
Painted several times (I've found 3 different colors so far when stripping it)
Rear ended right before I bought it
Cowl repair kit about 15 years ago
Lots of original parts (trim, emblems)

Now for the pictures. I took off the front end panels and rear bumper and stripped some of the panels about 2 years before, then got sidetracked since stripping the rest of the car in the garage was going to make a huge mess.

Here's the album link https://plus.google.com/photos/11395...91194146001841

Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

A few pinholes, and whoever did the last paint/repair job used a grinding disc on this fender and the other one. This one is questionable if I want to repair it or buy a new one.

I pulled the engine out several years ago for a rebuilt 302, did a t5 swap, and then pulled all that out and put it in my truck, upon which the engine spun a bearing. I still have the 289 and 3 spd. I think the 289 will find it's way back into this project.

Not sure if this fender is worth saving. In addition to having a patch panel on the last picture, it has other rusted out sections and a crease/dent about a foot long between the top and the body line. It was covered in bondo before i stripped it. While it's an original fender, that's a lot of damage IMO.

Last edited by clowe1965; 02-13-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Some additional damage around the antenna mount. Does anyone know if they sell fenders with this already filled in? I could use an internal antenna just as easily.

Easy fix (I think)

I scrapped the original palomino interior and redid it in black, but all of that is coming out, not sure what I'm going to do here yet. I'm thinking of covering the entire inner door, the metal gets pretty hot in the summer.

Can't quite see it, but I think the door will have to be reskinned as the area around the handle is pretty fatigued, a result of it being misaligned and being forced shut repeatedly.

New steering wheel and a used 66 gauge cluster. Probably won't stay.

I still have the cover somewhere else in my garage. Might put something else in there instead of the glove box though. Ideas?

My attempt at refreshening the interior, now I get to peel all that stuff up. Also you can see some of the damage to the shock cover area, not sure if I can straighten that up or if I'll have to cut out. Opinions? The shock mount below doesn't appear to be damaged.

Last edited by clowe1965; 02-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Close up of the damage

Anyone know a good solvent for this crap? Ruined a pair of my gloves already.

Rusted through on the underside here, with some crappy patch half torn off.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The one rusted spot on the floor board. I filled it in with some tub and tile silicon ( I was 16, give me a break). I did fix the source however by getting a new front windshield and weather stripping.

No damage on the back side, so IDK if I want to replace that section just for the shock cover.

Slight damage on the trunk lid, not sure if that was due to the fender bender before I bought it.

Gas tank GONE! Question about that, it was replaced in the wreck (I think its a 22 gal) in 2008. When I drained it there was already some rust residue in it. Worth keeping? I was already leaning towards something in the fuel cell department, or making one out of SS.

Door glass and mechanisms out, I left the latch/handle assemblies for the time being given its parked next to my '11.

Last edited by clowe1965; 02-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Cool. I'm in for updates.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:25 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Awesome! I am doing the same thing as you right now. I have a 65 c-code so I will be subscribing to your thread. Quick question? How did you strip behind the fenders next to the shocks and how do I prepare it for primer.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I used a wire wheel cup and an angle grinder to strip it. I found a stripper disc attachment that works even better. Given that this is a long term project I'm not sure of the best way to keep the car from rusting. Right now I'm just using some rattle can primer. the best way is to get some acetone or similar chemical and wipe the bare metal down with that, then primer it. I might try coating the bare metal in plastidip so I can strip it off before I spray. Anyone else have some thoughts? It might be best to leave the car bare, do the body/filler work, then do final prep and scrape off any surface rust then. so fare everything I've read indicates I should use one brand of paint/primer/clear so painting primer on top of some off the shelf rattlecan stuff doesn't sound like the best idea.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Took some more stuff off. Engine bay wiring, horns, hood latch and hinges, sway bar, front seats, dash bezels minus the heater controls.

Anyone know how to go about refurbishing window cranks and hood hinges? They seem to be all riveted/pressed together, but I'd like to do more than slap a new coat of paint on them.

Crappy harness and some other pieces. It's really easy to run out of storage.

I get to tear into the dash next, should be fun.

Just suspension, clutch and brakes left here.

Doors are put up mostly out of the way. I need more than a two car garage for this, its already expanded into the upstairs closet for storage as well as a few other hiding places.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Haven't done much lately, too many side projects between the house and other cars. I took the carpet out and realized how much sound deadening I had put down before. Kinda kicking myself for that now. Hopefully the heat gun will make short work of it. Some rust was coming back up by the driver's foot well where it had rusted through previously. I also tried tearing the weather stripping off the doors and trunk lid, but it only comes off in pieces so far. I might take the wire brush to it instead.

Quick Reply: 1965 Coupe Build (Pic Heavy)