Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Suspension questions

Old 02-16-2014, 10:48 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Question Suspension questions

Hi Everyone.
I have a 2008 GT manual and I am wanting to upgrade my suspension. I have been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit but after searching I've seen many others that are recommended as well. I live in Illinois near St. Louis. My future goals for this car is a supercharger, upgraded injectors, TB, etc. I want this to be a street car that I can take to the strip and do ok. Budget wise I'm hoping to be around $1500 or less for suspension. I plan to do my upgrades in "sets" with the motor upgrades being the last. I do plan to get a watts link as well. Right now I want shocks/struts lowering springs, sway bars, strut tower brace and what ever else I need to get my suspension going but I would like advice on which package or brands to look at.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I did Eibach Pro Springs, BMR swary bars front and rear, Panhard bar, BMR upper and lower control arms with relocation bracket. Car drives sooo amazing, only negative is I have to keep them greased or they start making creaking sounds. But other than that its great!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini
Hi Everyone.
I have a 2008 GT manual and I am wanting to upgrade my suspension. I have been looking at the Bilstein B12 kit but after searching I've seen many others that are recommended as well. I live in Illinois near St. Louis. My future goals for this car is a supercharger, upgraded injectors, TB, etc. I want this to be a street car that I can take to the strip and do ok. Budget wise I'm hoping to be around $1500 or less for suspension. I plan to do my upgrades in "sets" with the motor upgrades being the last. I do plan to get a watts link as well. Right now I want shocks/struts lowering springs, sway bars, strut tower brace and what ever else I need to get my suspension going but I would like advice on which package or brands to look at.
Thanks
For a lowered street strip Stang, I'd recommend Strange 10-way Shocks and Struts, and UPR/Eibach Lowering Springs. The sway bars and strut tower brace won't help your quarter mile ETs, but I'm running Eibach swaybars and the factory strut tower brace. These parts work really well.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Ok awesome. Im not wanting to add things that are of no real use so that is good to know. I want to shave some weight and upgrade the performance.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

If you want to stay within your budget, but without any drawbacks of not being able to adjust ride height, or adjust damping or rebound adjustments, I would suggest going with BC coilovers. BC's are inexpensive, adjustable, and best of all they're made from good quality materials. Take a look at more info from BC, and package that up with a panhard bar an you'll see the huge difference in performance!

BC Racing BR Series Coilovers for Ford Mustang

Hotchkis Adjustable Panhard Rod Mustang

Hope that helps! PM me if you have any questions!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I went with Steeda Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, however you can get adjustable Tokico for $200 more, Steeda Front and Rear Adj sway bars, Steeda Chromoly LCA and "lowered" UCA, Steeda Sportline Springs - its an entirely new car... and I think all that was under the $1500 mark, maybe a little over.
I'm getting a Fays2 Watts soon and suspension is done....
Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Thanks, so it looks like my best bet is to piece together a kit from different manufacturers rather than buying a premade kit?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Thanks, so it looks like my best bet is to piece together a kit from different manufacturers rather than buying a premade kit?
If I can jump in and share my 2 cents, I would have to disagree with that. Shocks when valved to match the forces it produces in conjunction with a spring, when they all work inline with each other, they tend to work a hell of a lot better than a shock not valved specifically for a set of springs that are at a different ride height, and have different spring rates.

Unless you're getting custom valving done, which Koni can do for you, it's not worth the time and energy, unless you have an engineer who can explain and set the valving for you and what your needs are.

Honestly I'd rather buy it, have it ship in one box, install it and be happy rather than piece to piece a kit together and have the handling compromised somewhat.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Originally Posted by ModBargains
If I can jump in and share my 2 cents, I would have to disagree with that. Shocks when valved to match the forces it produces in conjunction with a spring, when they all work inline with each other, they tend to work a hell of a lot better than a shock not valved specifically for a set of springs that are at a different ride height, and have different spring rates.

Unless you're getting custom valving done, which Koni can do for you, it's not worth the time and energy, unless you have an engineer who can explain and set the valving for you and what your needs are.

Honestly I'd rather buy it, have it ship in one box, install it and be happy rather than piece to piece a kit together and have the handling compromised somewhat.
That was what I was thinking originally was that a kit that is already put together would be much more "tuned" to work together so I was a bit confused.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

That was what I was thinking originally was that a kit that is already put together would be much more "tuned" to work together so I was a bit confused.
Exactly! You've got it now. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension questions