Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Questions about swapping an engine and the difference between engines

Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Kingshawn1234

Default Questions about swapping an engine and the difference between engines

I want know the difference between a classic ford 427, 351, etc. verses a mustang fuel injected 5.0 gt engine. Which has more power, which cost more, which is better overall. How much horsepower does the mustang 5.0 have?

I am looking at buying either this 67 mustang or a shelby cobra replica with a '93 Cobra Mustang 5.0 L engine and I'm curious to see if that is better thea having a carbonated engine like a 427.

Another thing I want to know is how much would a shop charge around to swap an engine from a 289 to a 427? And how much does a used 427 cost? And how much would installation cost roughly?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 PM
101btp
1st Gear Member

what kind of power are you wanting have you considered getting a top end kit or a set of AFR heads with a cam and forced induction power adder? 289's can still put out some good power

if you were doing an engine swap you're choice might be defined by what you can find used, some people off of here get lucky and find what they want from almost a single parts car!

having a shop do you're engine swap and if you are dropping in a 427 or 5.0 would need a transmission swap too, or the 5.0 needing the transmission and wiring harness, and for either one exhaust work, fine tune work you will probably be looking at 1000's cost wise just for work

you also have strict emission rules in Cali don't you?

Last edited by 101btp; 02-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 AM
Kingshawn1234

Originally Posted by 101btp
what kind of power are you wanting have you considered getting a top end kit or a set of AFR heads with a cam and forced induction power adder? 289's can still put out some good power

if you were doing an engine swap you're choice might be defined by what you can find used, some people off of here get lucky and find what they want from almost a single parts car!

having a shop do you're engine swap and if you are dropping in a 427 or 5.0 would need a transmission swap too, or the 5.0 needing the transmission and wiring harness, and for either one exhaust work, fine tune work you will probably be looking at 1000's cost wise just for work

you also have strike emission rules in Cali don't you?
I was thinking about swapping a 289 with a 427 but I realize its very costly and it would be better to just add mods to a 289. Yeah there are emission rules in Cali I'm not really sure what they are though.

I am also looking at this car. But i think i rather stick with getting another fastback I love them and there is much more demand for them then a kit car.

http://www.celebritycars.com/detail-...-10698350.html

Thanks for your help I appreciate it!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Well will you be driving the vehicle daily to almost daily, weekend street strip car? mainly show car?

That is a really nice looking vehicle either way : ]

Although I am also preferential to the Fastback
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Kingshawn1234
I was thinking about swapping a 289 with a 427 but I realize its very costly and it would be better to just add mods to a 289. Yeah there are emission rules in Cali I'm not really sure what they are though.

I am also looking at this car. But i think i rather stick with getting another fastback I love them and there is much more demand for them then a kit car.

http://www.celebritycars.com/detail-...-10698350.html

Thanks for your help I appreciate it!
If you are transplanting an engine in cali, the emissions year from the donor car are applicable to your build for emissions purposes. If you are building a custom ride then you to check with a smog shop for what rules/regulations apply. Example, you are taking the engine out of a 2009 Mustang to transplant in a 1950's hotrod. It is now subject to smog laws of the 2009 year and older.

It also matters how the car is registered. if its' registered like a normal car then you will need to follow whatever regulations they tell you. If you have it registered for Exempt status then you cannot drive it on the street. It will be for offroad use only, the upside is you can build it however you want. Just be aware that if you drive an off-road vehicle on the street and get caught in Cali you will be fined and or the car could be impounded with penalties. If you are caught racing it on the street (legal smog or not) Cali will can impound and destroy the car. Plenty of cases where they've done that.

Research cali requirements first before you dump a bunch of money and end up with a car that cannot be registered and/or driven the way you want....

Last edited by Derf00; 02-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 PM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If you are transplanting an engine in cali, the emissions year from the donor car are applicable to your build for emissions purposes. If you are building a custom ride then you to check with a smog shop for what rules/regulations apply. Example, you are taking the engine out of a 2009 Mustang to transplant in a 1950's hotrod. It is now subject to smog laws of the 2009 year and older.

It also matters how the car is registered. if its' registered like a normal car then you will need to follow whatever regulations they tell you. If you have it registered for Exempt status then you cannot drive it on the street. It will be for offroad use only, the upside is you can build it however you want. Just be aware that if you drive an off-road vehicle on the street and get caught in Cali you will be fined and or the car could be impounded with penalties. If you are caught racing it on the street (legal smog or not) Cali will can impound and destroy the car. Plenty of cases where they've done that.

Research cali requirements first before you dump a bunch of money and end up with a car that cannot be registered and/or driven the way you want....
That's what I was asking?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Kingshawn1234

Well will you be driving the vehicle daily to almost daily, weekend street strip car? mainly show car?

That is a really nice looking vehicle either way : ]

Although I am also preferential to the Fastback
I wouldt be driving the car everyday it would be a weekender. Maybe take it to the race track a couple times but nothing serious.

I went and looked at the cobra and was pretty dam nice. The paint was in great shape and overall it was in good condition. How much do you think something like that is worth? Is hard to sell these shelby replicas? I feel like there isn't much demand for them.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM
101btp
1st Gear Member

well I think it just depends on what you want and would make you more happy in body styling, but I think you could get a much better deal on a Fastback with better upgrades!! I think they are asking a bit too much seeing as yes I know it has race stripes but it's not the true white on blue nor has the side pipes in chrome, and other minor details, but it dose have low mileage but never did say what kind of driving put that mileage on, also was recently rebuilt! Has amazing detailing on the paint and polished metal! and it's kinda odd they put down 427 engine they should have said bored and stroked 351 clevland to 427, 427 in it's self is a different block.

Ya gotta tell me tho what body styling are you more into?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Kingshawn1234

well I think it just depends on what you want and would make you more happy in body styling, but I think you could get a much better deal on a Fastback with better upgrades!! I think they are asking a bit too much seeing as yes I know it has race stripes but it's not the true white on blue nor has the side pipes in chrome, and other minor details, but it dose have low mileage but never did say what kind of driving put that mileage on, also was recently rebuilt! Has amazing detailing on the paint and polished metal! and it's kinda odd they put down 427 engine they should have said bored and stroked 351 clevland to 427, 427 in it's self is a different block.

Ya gotta tell me tho what body styling are you more into?
I think right now I want a 1967 or 68 fastback with the shelby or eleanor body kit with a 427 or 428 or even a 351 with a stroker on it. I really want power.

But if i can get my hands on a good deal with a shelby kit car with like a stroked 351 or a 427 manual. i would be interested.

Do you know the best marketplace to find these cars?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Well if you want close to a specific year or end up getting lucky I would start attending some car auctions! Or if you're good friends with a well known shop throw them enough work with the kind of money that you want to put into a vehicle they might hook you up with an overall good job if you get you're hands on a good rolling chassis and possibly complete engine with or transmission, I know that with what im wanting to do with my car the amount of components I am gonna end up changing when I do my engine, transmission, suspension, and drive train swap I wish I would have just bought a rolling chassis in good condition! and with spring cleaning some good deals on old project cars that got as far as having their body restored but never got seen through to being completed. When you get to be the say so for what will and what won't go in you really get to have the car exactly the way you want it!