Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2014, adding exhaust void warranty? Oil question too

Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 PM
dseg
1st Gear Member

Default New 2014, adding exhaust void warranty? Oil question too

As the title says it, I just bought a new Mustang GT and wanted to add the Roush axle-back exhaust to make it sound a little meaner. Would this void the warranty? It has 500+ miles on it.

Also, what oil should I be using? I usually use synthetic AMSoil but not sure about the 0w-30? 5w-25?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM
2011V6Nicole
2nd Gear Member

No an axle back exhaust will not void your warranty, and as for the oil it should say on the cap and in your owners manual
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

first, the oil, i use the standard motorcraft synth blend. thats what ford built the motor around. doesnt hurt going to a full synth, but 8 quarts per change... yikes! i would only trust full synthetic oils such as Mobile 1, or Royal purple. RP is hands down the best. but... some places its about $11 a quart.

warranty answer. If you add an axle back exhaust, the only way ford can void your warranty is if the issue caused IS AND CAN BE PROVEN to be caused by the part added. if you add an ECU tune, and the transmission takes a crap, they CANT void the warranty on the tranny. but if you say, add a bigger throttle body and intake, and you have a problem with the engine itself, they can toss your warranty out the window if they want.

so, if you add the axle backs, and it causes some kind of RARE backpressure issue that jacks up your catalytic converters, yea, they can void the warranty on that. make sense?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I have a 2014 GT and installed the Roush AB at about 600 + miles. I have not read anyone getting their warranty voided just for an exhaust. I'm not going to worry about it.

As far as oil, I only have 4,400 miles on my car and are still running the factory fill oil. I plan on changing it soon using the Motorcraft blend.

Wayne
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The blend that comes in the crankcase from the factory is fine for 5k - 7k miles. If you want to go longer, then full syn is fine. Stick with the weight recommended in the OM. I typically run full syn in all my vehicles to 10k or more miles, even my tow vehicles. They've all went well passed 200k miles with no engine issues or performance problems. And my current 4 vehicles will do the same.

Forget about the warranty. That's betting your car will crap out. The law requires the dealer to prove that the non-OE part caused the failure/problem. Most dealerships like to intimidate the car owner. Pull your panties up and grow a set. F**k the warranty. You'll never enjoy the car's potential if you're a warranty wuss.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Pull your panties up and grow a set. F**k the warranty. You'll never enjoy the car's potential if you're a warranty wuss.
^^^^ LOL!!

No, an axle back will not void your warranty. Period.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Pull your panties up and grow a set. F**k the warranty.
Says the guy with a 2007 and no warranty! It's a legit question. It's possible to cause warranty issues but not likely. You could go with Ford Racing axleback and insure you would never have issues. I'm going to keep my 2014 stock. I found that with about 20,000 miles, the stock exhaust system on my 2010 opened up quite a bit over new levels. I expect the 2014 might do the same.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Who buys a stang and worries about a warranty. I bought mine new and had a tune in a few months.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Who buys a stang and worries about a warranty.
people who don't have bottomless pockets. Like, most of us.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Thanks to the Manugson and Moss warranty act, an aftermarket part installed on a vehicle cannot be grounds for voiding a warranty. The dealer must prove that the aftermarket part installed on the vehicle is the honest cause for any damages that might be claimed under warranty. FTC has confirmed that the Magnuson and Moss warranty act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny cover under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.

You can find more info about it here, or you can google Magnuson and Moss Warranty act:

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2014, adding exhaust void warranty? Oil question too