Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension improvements for v6 with performance pack questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 PM
sdstang
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension improvements for v6 with performance pack questions...

I'd like to improve the handling of my car. As the title indicates I have the performance package on the car and want to make sure I'm not wasting money by replacing existing parts for small incremental gains. The car is not a daily driver, it's a 3rd car for fun.

Would going with a complete eibach or ford handling pack bring significant improvement versus just keeping majority of existing setup while adding panhard bar, lowering springs and either camber bolts or plates?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sdstang
I'd like to improve the handling of my car. As the title indicates I have the performance package on the car and want to make sure I'm not wasting money by replacing existing parts for small incremental gains. The car is not a daily driver, it's a 3rd car for fun.

Would going with a complete eibach or ford handling pack bring significant improvement versus just keeping majority of existing setup while adding panhard bar, lowering springs and either camber bolts or plates?

Thanks.
I'd recommend UPR lowering springs, Koni shocks & struts, UPR control arms & PHB, and Eibach swaybars. I've tried plenty of different parts and I've ridden in cars with many different combos. I have the setup I listed above, and it's great. It handles well, it looks good, and it's still decent in a straight line.

www.uprproducts.com
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

What are you trying to achieve? Are you just looking for better handling? Are you willing to sacrifice comfort? What's your budget?

Biggest gain will be wheels and tires hands down. If you have already got good wheels and tires, the biggest downside to the Mustang is the shock/struts. I'd replace the shocks/struts and add new springs while you are at it. You will also need an adjustable panhard bar due to the lowering. I'd say this is a good starting point. LCAs and UCAs would be a good next step. Then probably sway bars.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM
sdstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
What are you trying to achieve? Are you just looking for better handling? Are you willing to sacrifice comfort? What's your budget?

Biggest gain will be wheels and tires hands down. If you have already got good wheels and tires, the biggest downside to the Mustang is the shock/struts. I'd replace the shocks/struts and add new springs while you are at it. You will also need an adjustable panhard bar due to the lowering. I'd say this is a good starting point. LCAs and UCAs would be a good next step. Then probably sway bars.
Tires and wheels aren't a priority at moment, I'm happy with what came with the car on that front. I'd like to reduce the wheel hop a bit and reduce body roll. Budget wise, I would max out around $1500 as I have a list of other changes I need to make. If I can spend far less than that I'd be very happy. After only a couple weeks with the car I realize changing the shifter or at least adding an aftermarket bracket is a must.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sdstang
Tires and wheels aren't a priority at moment, I'm happy with what came with the car on that front. I'd like to reduce the wheel hop a bit and reduce body roll. Budget wise, I would max out around $1500 as I have a list of other changes I need to make. If I can spend far less than that I'd be very happy. After only a couple weeks with the car I realize changing the shifter or at least adding an aftermarket bracket is a must.
Well you don't need to lower the car to reduce wheel hop and body roll, you can achieve that with sway bars and lower control arms. If that is all you are trying to achieve I'd still recommend some shock/struts.

If you want the look of lowering the car too, then you need springs. If you want a good ride quality, I'd recommend Steeda Sport springs. If ride isn't a factor for you and you want a bit more drop you can go with Ford Racing springs. Again, you will want an adjustable pan hard bar if you lower the car.

If you want to keep going I'd recommend a new UCA and relocation brackets for your car.

Personally, you need to determine what you want, what you are willing to give up, and how much you want to spend. Once you know what you want (flatter handling, less wheel hop, looks of lowering) and what you are willing to give up (harsher ride, more NVH) and your budget ($1500) I'd email/call Sam Strano and give him your thoughts. He can set you up better than most, and since he isn't someone who is attached to any one company he can recommend a combination of parts that offer you what you are after.

If I had to do it over again:

Steeda Sport Springs
Koni STR.T Struts and shocks
GT500 Strut mounts
J&M Aluminum adj PHB
J&M or Ford Racing LCAs
J&M UCA
Whiteline relocation brackets
Your pick of sway bars

That combination would cost probably $1800.

Last edited by artdohc; 03-04-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM
sdstang
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate the help.