Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Extra fob What is it????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
harddock

Default Extra fob What is it????

I have a 2012 Mustang - in addition to the key with lock, unlock, panic, and trunk buttons I have a separate small fob with a Ford emblem and a square button with the image of a key and a red light that very rapidly flashes when the key button is depresses. I have been to two dealers and they can't explain this fob. One said remote start but car is a manual and remote start not on window sticker. I have searched images of remotes and can't find one that comes anywhere near matching. This format won't allow an upload of a picture. An ideas?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Does it look like this? This is a remote start for a ford escape. You can have remote start for a manual. Put your car in neutral with the E-brake on and press the button. Maybe it will start. You'll probably have to make sure the doors are locked first. That's how factory remote starts work.
Attached Thumbnails Extra fob  What is it????-image.jpg  

Last edited by Csrt4to5.0gt; 02-28-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:28 PM
harddock

Yes it is identical but it does not start the car. I will investigate further. There maybe a routine when shutting down to qualify the car for a remote start. Owners manual offered no help and there is no mention anywhere that this car has this starter.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

that's for a dealer-installed remote start system, my Ranger has the same thing. I never use it.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, usually with an aftermart remote start for a manual transmission, there's a special procedure to start the car. It could also be an aftermarket alarm, too. I'm surprised, being a ford part, ford dealers don't know what it is.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
harddock

I didn't have the car with me when I asked one dealer. He did say remote starter, go home and see if the car starts. Well I did and it didn't. The dealer I bought from sent me to their Ford dealership who suggested that (since I just bought it used) that the owner put them with the keys and perhaps they were for another car. No one mentioned procedures especially for a manual but these were just salesmen so as a rule they don't know much. None of the books included with the car were for a starter.

Last edited by harddock; 02-28-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

If "remote start" wasn't on the sticker they probably just gave you the key without having activated the feature.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
If "remote start" wasn't on the sticker they probably just gave you the key without having activated the feature.
It won't be on the sticker because this is the dealer-install remote start kit.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Moronix
1st Gear Member

It looks exactly like mine and it is listed on the window sticker under Optional Equipment as "Powercode Remote Start $345".
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM
stangs-R-me

This can only be a DEALER INSTALLED kit, as it is NOT a factory option with a Manual Transmission ...period.

I've heard of aftermarket companies doing it for M/T cars, but am surprised that a FORD dealer would install on an M/T car.

For it to be fail safe, a sensor really needs to be built into the shifter so system knows for sure it is in neutral.

I know they have special shut down sequences, but it's not like you can't slip it back into gear (purposly or by accident) when exiting the car and the system would know it.

Doug

Quick Reply: Extra fob What is it????