Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:14 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?

The past month I have been using regular gas in my 2014 GT. The only difference I have noticed is about 4/10 less MPG. With a .25 cent differential between regular and premium, I think I'll run regular during the cold months and switch back to premium in the summer when there is more risk of detonation. I'm not racing so I don't miss the few extra ponies. It's still bad-***, even on regular!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:32 PM
chromebluestrat
1st Gear Member

I was just going to ask that question about premium fuel in 2014 GT. Is it required?
I see the specs for GT that Premium fuel is recommended. I currently have a 2010 V6. Looking to upgrade to GT. But that premium fuel has put me off. Is the 3.7 Liter 304 HP V6 a big jump from my 4.0 liter V6? as far as performance.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhawkr
The past month I have been using regular gas in my 2014 GT. The only difference I have noticed is about 4/10 less MPG. With a .25 cent differential between regular and premium, I think I'll run regular during the cold months and switch back to premium in the summer when there is more risk of detonation. I'm not racing so I don't miss the few extra ponies. It's still bad-***, even on regular!
That's what I do. I have a Brenspeed hand held programmer. I run 87 octane tune in winter and in summer I switch to 93 octane. Works out OK for me.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by chromebluestrat
I was just going to ask that question about premium fuel in 2014 GT. Is it required?
I see the specs for GT that Premium fuel is recommended. I currently have a 2010 V6. Looking to upgrade to GT. But that premium fuel has put me off. Is the 3.7 Liter 304 HP V6 a big jump from my 4.0 liter V6? as far as performance.
Premium fuel would be a deal breaker...really? To each there own I guess. If I were worried about fuel consumption or fuel type I'd look at a 4 banger from any of the OEM's including Ford (Focus/Fiesta).

Anyways...it's all in the wording.

REQUIRED vs RECOMMENDED. Required means the car is not designed to run on anything less. Recommended means that in order to get the advertised performance you MUST run premium. Some cars like the 08 Bullitt has dual fuel maps. One for premium, one for regular. If it says recommended, then you can run regular. Just be aware you will get less performance with the lower octane...or buy a handheld tuner and use the lower octane tune as someone else dose.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Premium fuel would be a deal breaker...really? To each there own I guess. If I were worried about fuel consumption or fuel type I'd look at a 4 banger from any of the OEM's including Ford (Focus/Fiesta).
It certainly isn't a deal-breaker for me, I bought mine last May. I have a 2012 Focus 5-dr SEL too, but that's for the wife. I do have to use my GT as a daily driver, to and from work. It has sufficient power on 87 Octane to get me into all the trouble I need. The only reason I would switch back is that during hot weather, detonation(pinging) can be a problem. I don't want that to ever happen.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 PM
chromebluestrat
1st Gear Member

I wasn't aware of premium fuel recommendation until I read up on specs of GT. it's not a deal breaker. Just a question. Thanks
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chromebluestrat
well you're going from 200ish horsepower all the was up to over 300 horsepower, of course that's a massive jump in performance.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:11 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhawkr
That's a good plan. My '12 doesn't have the high octane fuel recommendation, but I would imagine that it is better to give the computer a couple of fill-ups to actually gain/drop power when switching between octanes. Buy a high octane (91 or 93) tune and I bet that you forget that regular gasoline is even an option
Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
That's a good plan. My '12 doesn't have the high octane fuel recommendation, but I would imagine that it is better to give the computer a couple of fill-ups to actually gain/drop power when switching between octanes. Buy a high octane (91 or 93) tune and I bet that you forget that regular gasoline is even an option
all 11+ 5.0's recommend Premium, but it's not required.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

.25 per gallon * 14 = $3.50 per fill-up to use premium. I use about a tank a week, so $14 more a month.

Considering what the monthly payments on cars are, an extra $14 a month for premium gas is inconsequential.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 GT on regular 87 octane gas?