Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bad ticking sound 05 GT

Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Default Bad ticking sound 05 GT

So it first started out about a week ago as a noticeable ticking sound coming from the outside of the car, standing by the hood. Now it has progressed much worse and I can here it very easily driving or idling and it doesn't sound normal at all. I used Mobil 1 5W-20 Oil and a K&N oil filter, I've had the car for 15k miles, and the car has 108k on the clock. I was told it seems to be coming mostly from the passenger side cylinder head, and that it could need valve lash adjustment, a new lifter, or it could be the oil passages clogged up with sludge.

I added a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer about 15 miles ago and the sound hasn't changed at all. I do have a Quality Guard warranty that I purchased with the car, and am going to try and get it into the dealer ASAP. Just wanting to know what peoples thoughts are on it, and any advice. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a TSB for loud injector clicking but Ford will tell you it's normal. There are a lot of threads on ticking from the 4.6L.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a lifter problem, but it might be an exhaust leak around the front part of the car. Also 5W-20 sounds like it might be too thin. What does the manual recommend for the oil. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

I've read the TSB, looked through threads on here and it definitely is not a normal sound. It's really loud and can be heard throughout all the rpm ranges, took it to ford today just to have a service manager I know take a look at it and he thinks it's the cam followers, but of course needs to take the valve covers off to see what's going on. I do have an aftermarket warranty through Quality Guard plus and it covers everything in the engine, however my concern now is that since I would be taking it in for engine work, would it still be covered even though it has a CAI, o/r x-pipe and other bolt ons? The car came with the intake and exhaust when I bought it so would it still be covered? Just want to know if it's worth taking to the dealer to try and have them fix it and have it paid for by my warranty company. And 5W20 is what ford calls for with this car, also checked for exhaust leaks all the way from the tips up to where the x pipe connects to the manifold and I wasn't able to find any, unless it's the manifold gaskets, but every time I've suggested that to people that have looked at it they said it's not an exhaust leak.

Last edited by Carcrazycorey1; 03-28-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Bumppp
Old 03-30-2014, 04:48 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

its not the injectors for sure. Id think followers, or lifter, spring. when they remove the cam cover they should be able to identify the problem
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

So it definitely wasn't a normal sound, because the engine died on me on my way to work this morning and started making a real
bad clanking sound as I tried to start it back up. Currently on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. Fml.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
...Currently on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. Fml.
Hate that chit. Keep us posted.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Yep, it's a big bummer. Praying that the $2000 warranty I bought will cover it or I might as well sell the car, will update as I hear back from the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad ticking sound 05 GT