Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3v GT, happy owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 3v GT, happy owners?

Are you guys running a 3v GT still happy with your rides?

I see them pop up as used cars and always thought about picking one up for a great deal.

Not talking about hitting 11's or 12's but in terms of pure driving summer enjoyment and stop light to stop light "fun".

I drove a 08 Bullitt with a 5 speed, 3.73's gears with an exhaust and it was the most fun I have had in years!

I am thinking a 3v with 4.10's, light weight one piece drive-shaft, hot rod cams, exhaust cut outs and lower control arms would make it a mighty fun summer car to cruise, and row through the gears in.

I had an 08 auto for four years, but it's just not the same as a stick shift.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've been driving a 2006 3V 5 speed GT for like 8 years, 122K miles and I'm still in love with this car. It's the only car I ever ordered from the factory. I still have pictures with the plastic all over it the day it arrived at the dealer. I'm 67 yrs. old and it is the best car I've ever owned.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I've been driving a 2006 3V 5 speed GT for like 8 years, 122K miles and I'm still in love with this car. It's the only car I ever ordered from the factory. I still have pictures with the plastic all over it the day it arrived at the dealer. I'm 67 yrs. old and it is the best car I've ever owned.
Ditto.. I bought a 08 Mustang GT and though I only had mine for four years, it made a long and lasting impression on me. It was my first real pony car (I was 27 at the time) and never driven a "muscle car". I didn't understand or know what it meant to appreciate what you have until it's gone, but now I understand what pure driving enjoyment means. I haven't owned a Mustang in two years.

Sure, it may not be as fast as some of the other cars I have owned, but honestly, no other car has left such an impression on me either. Not the 93 RX-7 twin turbo I owned as my first car, nor my supercharged 09 Dodge Charger RT with the Hemi.

In the end, I always ended up thinking back to my Mustang and the pictures I still have of her. I miss it lol
Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
BLACK-MACHINE
1st Gear Member

09GT 5 speed 91xxx miles and im trying to finance twin turbo's
oh i turn 55 on 4-20... best date to have a birthday on lol
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

A twin turbo set up would surely be great

4-20 sounds like an awesome birthday as well
Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Name:  CIMG0817.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2455.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  101.1 KB

I sure miss my GT...
Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Absolutely. There is always bigger and better, but who cares? Should you not be happy because GTs now have over 400 HP? Why? If you bought a new GT, (first you probably paid twice as much) there's still be the GT500 that's faster than you, and if you had that, there'd still be something else. Unless you're going to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on something, there's bigger and better. The whole point of Mustangs is for easy, cheap, and encouraged customization. The newer models these days are so expensive they seem to have lost sight of this. Sure, you can buy the power from the factory, but I can build it on a 3V for even cheaper, and it'd be your own. I love the look of the newer models, but I love the look of my car too, as I loved the look of my Cobra and my 97 GT.

If you've got your eye on one, I'd definitely say to get it. Like you said, 4.10s and a few bolt ons and you have an incredibly fun, and certainly not slow car. 350 RWHP is still faster than most cars on the road and plenty to have a great time with. Hell, you could beat that Hemi pretty easily with a decent bolt on build up (though you'd have to fight supercharger with supercharger, haha). I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see any reason to not still love the 3V even if it's from a generation before everyone cranked up the power from the factory.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Been awhile since I have seen you on the boards stealth. You still have (I believe) a charger? I have seen you post in strip section. I can say that I have had mine since it was new from the dealer in 07 and I haven't looked back. I actually just got done doing the motor. Now I just need a good day to take her to the track. Im still in love with mine. I haven't had any issues with it even with the extensive mods. Aside from a few stripped studs that can be a PITA at times. I have really enjoyed my car especially after the torque convertor install. When u looking to buy another one?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
Absolutely. There is always bigger and better, but who cares? Should you not be happy because GTs now have over 400 HP? Why? If you bought a new GT, (first you probably paid twice as much) there's still be the GT500 that's faster than you, and if you had that, there'd still be something else. Unless you're going to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on something, there's bigger and better. The whole point of Mustangs is for easy, cheap, and encouraged customization. The newer models these days are so expensive they seem to have lost sight of this. Sure, you can buy the power from the factory, but I can build it on a 3V for even cheaper, and it'd be your own. I love the look of the newer models, but I love the look of my car too, as I loved the look of my Cobra and my 97 GT.

If you've got your eye on one, I'd definitely say to get it. Like you said, 4.10s and a few bolt ons and you have an incredibly fun, and certainly not slow car. 350 RWHP is still faster than most cars on the road and plenty to have a great time with. Hell, you could beat that Hemi pretty easily with a decent bolt on build up (though you'd have to fight supercharger with supercharger, haha). I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see any reason to not still love the 3V even if it's from a generation before everyone cranked up the power from the factory.
Ditto.. the new 5.0 is really out of my price range. I know they have come a long way, even since 2005 when you could get a base GT for $28k out the door, now they want up to $42k! The 5.0 is an amazing motor but not gonna go car broke trying to afford one lol

The S197 being my first Mustang it's the only one that's ever held onto my attention to this day. The 08 Bullitt I drove with the 3.73's really surprised me. I owned a few high hp cars and that 08 packed plenty of punch just rowing through the gears. I'd imagine with a little more weight reduction, it'll run even smoother and quicker.

Originally Posted by outceltj
Been awhile since I have seen you on the boards stealth. You still have (I believe) a charger? I have seen you post in strip section. I can say that I have had mine since it was new from the dealer in 07 and I haven't looked back. I actually just got done doing the motor. Now I just need a good day to take her to the track. Im still in love with mine. I haven't had any issues with it even with the extensive mods. Aside from a few stripped studs that can be a PITA at times. I have really enjoyed my car especially after the torque convertor install. When u looking to buy another one?
Hi Outceltj

Glad to here you're still loving an enjoying your 3v. A torque converter definelty wakes things up quite a bit off the line, especially with a blower.

I still have My Charger and it's a blast to drive in the winter but in the summer it leaves much to be desired. It's a tank and I love the motor with AWD but I really miss how my Mustang drove and how light it felt. I had an auto last time but looking to get into a 5 speed. Not sure when, possibly soon..
Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i love mine now i got a 2010 and an auto.
u have to remember these cars are gt cars and not sports cars..the susspension on these cars is kinda like from the dark ages..no way i'de wanna go in one at 200mph..i find 140 fast enough for the way these cars handle...so the 4.6 is fine..
if u wanna sports car buy a vette

Quick Reply: 3v GT, happy owners?