Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Moving to Raleigh from Texas Soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM
jdmlol

Default Moving to Raleigh from Texas Soon

Hi everyone. My name is Kirby. I'm from Texas. I will be moving up to Raleigh here in about 3 months to begin training for work. I'm looking to become acclimated with the mustang scene in NC before the move. I am currently pretty active on my local forum, DFW50s. It's a pretty laid back place, however it does have those interesting moments. I have a 2013 Base Mustang GT with a fairly long list of mods including full jba exhaust, tune, lcas, uca, phb, springs, struts, cc plates, relo brackets, mgw shifter, spoiler delete, carbon wrap, etc... Anyways, I'm hoping there is a sizable mustang community in NC to become a part of while I'm there. I do have one question, what's the highest octane rating readily available in the gasoline in the Raleigh/Durham area? I'm currently tuned for 93 and I'm wondering if I will have to get retuned for 91. Here are a few pics of my current rides:

Garage Queen:
Name:  20131008_175732_zps12899d1a.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  126.7 KB

Name:  20131008_175748_zps5aa26a8e.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  134.5 KB

Daily:
Name:  20130921_131103_zpsca6967d0.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  146.8 KB

Hunting Lease/Weekend Toy:
Name:  bronco_zps5a1205f0.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  34.7 KB
Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Good looking vehicles. Welcome to the forums and the scene in Raleigh is large. Also we do have 93 readily available.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Welcome, you definitely found the right place to be. Sharp car, looking forward to meeting you.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Grover_NC
3rd Gear Member

Nice looking car. Good luck with the move. Nice bronco too!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 PM
jdmlol

Thanks for the warm welcome. I love Texas, but I'm ready to experience a new place for a bit. I will be in Raleigh for six months. Based on what I have read about the weather in NC, I think it will be a nice change. Average temps look more comfortable. I'll be escaping the typical 60-70 day run of over 100 degree temps just in the knick of time. Another question: When I'm in Raleigh, how far am I from a nice coastline? Are the waters muddy, murky, and shallow like the ones on the Texas coast?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Welcome.....Great to have you...One more excuse for a GTG......
Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the Carolinas Kirby!!

Living in Raleigh definitely has its perks as far as location goes in this state.
The college scene is always kickin' (if thats your thing), 3 major campuses within a 25mi radius. You're 2.5 hours from the beach and you can spend PLENTY of time out that way, up and down the coast from Nags Head to Myrtle Beach.

You're 3.5 hours from Myrtle Beach, 2.5 hours from Charlotte, 3 hours away from the mountains, 1.5 hours away from VIR (Virginia International Raceway-road course), 5 hours away from Gatlinburg, TN and "Tail of the Dragon".

Also, once you get settled, show season is just starting to kick in, plenty of local events and cruise-ins...tho the schedules on these events is rather odd, like every 3rd Saturday, etc.

If you're interested, look up Heart of Carolina Mustang Club. We're based out of Cary (Raleigh suburb) and keep checking in on this chapter as we are very active throughout the year.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Widow Maker
5th Gear Member

Welcome Kirby.... You're gonna love the Carolinas!!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Welcome. As has been stated, you're moving to a great place location-wise. Raleigh is relatively close to everything in NC (especially given that you're coming from Texas). Coming in just in time for beach season, which you're close to. The water off of the NC/SC coast isn't very clear. There are pockets of clear water, but the soil composition just makes most of the water naturally murky in the majority of locations.

This Chapter is a good spot to learn about events of the other clubs in the area. You've already been hooked up with information about Heart of the Carolinas, which will be a good resource for local events. We try to keep our event calendar (stickied on the main forum page) updated with events all around our region (whether we are sponsoring it or not). While we have a very club-like atmosphere and we do have our own events, we maintain our status as a regional chapter by providing as much information about the local clubs as we can. We've had a few popcorn moments (usually my fault ) but for the most part I think everyone here will tell you that we are the most laid-back, accepting group in the area.

There is always something going on, so welcome and enjoy your stay!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

It's not too late, you can change your mind and move to SC to get cheaper gas and no inspections! Just that little matter of commuting 2.5 Hours to work from Ft Mill or what ever the closest border town is.

Quick Reply: Moving to Raleigh from Texas Soon