Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gt brake conversion / upgrade

Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Default gt brake conversion / upgrade

I've searched a little on the forum and I don't know if the search function is down or whats going on, I couldn't come up with anything regarding the brakes.

I am going to need new front brakes soon and want to upgrade to the larger gt brakes. I haven't found much online for conversion brackets for the rear calipers. Knowing that most of your braking is done by the front is it customary to just upgrade the fronts?

I've found the conversion bracket for the front calipers, but do any of you have personal experience with pros/cons on pads and rotors?

Any opinions or help is appreciated.

Thanks
Josh
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
JimC

The rear brakes are exactly the same for the V6 and V8 - nothing different at all so nothing to upgrade other than pads and rotors. If it fits the V8 it fits the V6 on the rear.

On the front all you do is swap the bracket from the GT for the one on your current caliper. The calipers are the same and only the bracket is different. No need to open the brake system so no bleeding needed in that case. Swap brackets, put on the bigger rotors, put in new pads, and put it back together.

I have the Hawk HPS on my car and they are good pads. The last set really dusted pretty bad but this pair doesn't seem to be doing the same thing. I've heard from others who bought the Gold Cmax at Auto Zone and been very pleased with those
Old 05-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Jim, any advice good or bad on rotors? I don't race, just like to drive fast on occation. Are the slotted and/or drilled/dimpled worth it or could I just go with a higher quality standard rotor?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
JimC

I have a set of the slotted/drilled that I picked up from CDC - can't tell you the brand now. I would have preferred just the slotted though; drilling can weaken some rotors with heavy use (like drag strip) I've heard, but no indications of any problems with mine. The slotted/drilled or slotted/dimpled have a nice look to them but really even the stock rotor is pretty good.

And with the larger rotor you will feel a difference. Think of it like a bike wheel. If you try to stop a spinning bike wheel by gripping close to the axle it takes more power to stop; but move the pads out to edges of the bike wheel and you can stop it a lot easier (that is why it took so long to develop disc brakes for mountain bikes, getting the power to stop without a heavy system for the hydraulics needed took some development - I used to race mountain bikes)
Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC

I have the Hawk HPS on my car and they are good pads. The last set really dusted pretty bad but this pair doesn't seem to be doing the same thing.
Funny you say that. It seems like the HPS are love/hate, either you get a set you love and work great, or you hate them (dusty, loud etc. I fall in this category). Swapped them out for Ceramics and DBA drilled/slotted rotors and they've been great. No noise, bite well and don't seem all that dusty
Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
JimC

The first set dusted so badly I swore I wouldn't get another pair. I contacted Hawk and complained about it, as well as the anti-rattle clips breaking off. They sent me out a new set and said try them again. Went on the car with no problems, no broken clips, and this set doesn't dust as bad for some reason
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Here is the conversion kit that I bought. Others have the same package but the price is comparable to others.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...de-0511v6.html
Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

After looking around and being unable to find just the brackets, I found an article that says you can just buy the gt brackets and they will work just fine. I don't want a kit (brackets & rotors) if Im going to upgrade the rotors anyway.

Just an FYI, thanks guys for the info.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Skip the 2005-2010 12.4" conversion and go with the 2012 13.2"
front brake rotors and caliper mounting brackets.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...gineering.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...n-a-07-v6.html

I have just the 2005-2010 gt brackets IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT.
$25 EACH SHIPPED.

Fricken caps locks

By the looks of the 13.2" rotors, I am glad I have 18s
and waited bypassing the 12.4" upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails gt brake conversion / upgrade-caliperbracketspartnos.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 05-19-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Skip the 2005-2010 12.4" conversion and go with the 2012 13.4"
front brake rotors and caliper mounting brackets.

I have just the 2005-2010 gt brackets IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT.
$25 EACH SHIPPED.
Thanks 157dB, but I have 17" wheels and don't plan to change to 18's anytime soon. If I did have 18's I would be all over it.

Let me figure out what I'm doing for rotors and I'll let you know about the brackets. I might just get the bracket/rotor upgrade kit from AM. But if I go with slotted rotors I will buy your GT brackets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gt brake conversion / upgrade