V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need help with Ignition coil not firing on B side causing cylinder misfires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
tamara10256

Default Need help with Ignition coil not firing on B side causing cylinder misfires

Hello all,

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang V6 3.8L automatic. I started experiencing misfires on my #3 cylinder. Replaced all plugs and plug wires and installed a Motorcraft Ignition Coil today. I am still experiencing the Ignition Coil error on the B side causing a misfire on cylinder #3 and at least one more that I can't tell. Could there be a ground wire issue going to the main computer from the coil pack? All old engine codes are gone and the ignition coil B side error is the only one that remains. I really love my Stang and don't want to part with her. All parts are original mfg parts except the ones that I just replaced. I can't afford to go to one of the places here that have diagnostic equipt. Please help!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

What specific code do you get? Misfires can be cause by a lot of things, including (but not limited to) bad fuel injector, no/poor power to fuel injector, spark plug gap, spark plugs & wires, coil, not enough power to spark plugs... the list goes on and on and on...
Old 06-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Rodsco

Default similar problem

I had a similar problem with a rough idle and choppy acceleration, which ended up from a misfire on cylinder #1. Changed my plugs and wires, which resolved everything, or so I thought. Car was running perfect, then 2 days later the same exact symptoms came back, same misfire code. I rechecked the #1 wire, and it was partially melted and cracked through from the heat near the headers. I check my old wire close, and it was cracked at the same exact point. I had totally overlooked it because it was covered by the removable plastic heat barrier. So I used one of the shorter wires from #2 or 3 I had just pulled, made sure it was well secured to the other wires and no where near the headers. Everything is running smooth now.
Hope that helps
Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Rodsco

Default similar problem

I had a similar problem with a rough idle and choppy acceleration, which ended up from a misfire on cylinder #1. Changed my plugs and wires, which resolved everything, or so I thought. Car was running perfect, then 2 days later the same exact symptoms came back, same misfire code. I rechecked the #1 wire, and it was partially melted and cracked through from the heat near the headers. I check my old wire close, and it was cracked at the same exact point. I had totally overlooked it because it was covered by the removable plastic heat barrier. So I used one of the shorter wires from #2 or 3 I had just pulled, made sure it was well secured to the other wires and no where near the headers. Everything is running smooth now.
Hope that helps
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Rodsco

Other sites had similar posts also suggesting taking off the Idle Air Control and cleaning it out good with brake cleaner.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rodsco
Other sites had similar posts also suggesting taking off the Idle Air Control and cleaning it out good with brake cleaner.
IAC valve is used only during idle. It does nothing when not at idle.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM
WILL77

Default I NEED HELP!!!

I HAVE A 98 FORD MUSTANG V6 3.8L
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND I GOT A CODE FOR P0352 WHICH I AM GETTING A MISFIRE ON CYLINDER 3 & 4. NO SPARK COMING FROM THOSE CYLINDERS & I HAD REPLACED SPARK PLUGS,WIRES & COIL PACK.STILL SAME RESULT. I EVEN GOT A PCM & WHEN INSTALLED THE CAR WOULD NOT EVEN START, SO I HAD TO REINSTALL THE OLD ONE BACK ON. DID I MISS ANYTHING?