5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1992 lx making terrible noise after tune up PLEASE HELP!!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 AM
usbutlermc

Default 1992 lx making terrible noise after tune up PLEASE HELP!!

Car was running like crap so I replaced my spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Now the car is running a lot better, but it is making a strange noise now (ticking/lawn mower type sound that speeds up with acceleration. Sounds like the sound is coming from around the number 6 spark plug. This sound was not there before I performed the tune up. Tried disconecting the number 6 plug wire form the distributor cap and that made the noise go away. Pluged it back in and noise came back. Can anyone tell me what the noise may be and how to get rid of it?? Car is running much better than before I did the tune up, but the sound is horrible. Any help would be amazing. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Could be that the number 6 cylinder was not firing at all due to a bad plug or wire, and now that it is firing it could be the exhaust header gasket is blown out there and letting exhaust gas leak out.

Make sure the plug is tight also, and that the plug wire is secured to the plug and not arcing on anything.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

At night, pop the hood with the car running, as Dawson said, look for an arc on #6 wire.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Do what Dawson and Orangepeel said first. If that does not work out take the valve covers off and check for a bent rod or stuck roller lifter. I just went through that. My situation was........unique. I advanced my timing chain by 4 degrees and some how I bent every push rod on the intake side. It sounded sort of like a diesel engine with that tick you described (got louder with acceleration too). It sort of sounded like this........
Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Not saying that is your problem, but it's in the realm of possibilities. I would put my money on a stuck lifter.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
Not saying that is your problem, but it's in the realm of possibilities. I would put my money on a stuck lifter.
Im leaning more toward an exhaust leak or arcing wire , a stuck lifter would tap regardless if the cylinder is firing or not. He said when he pulled the plug wire off the dizzy it quits.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM
usbutlermc

Thanks guys! Is there any way to test if the wire is arcing without waiting for the night time? How do I go about repairing an arcing wire or an exaust leak if that's what it is? Really don't want to take this thing to the shop and get raped!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If you could get a video of the sound posted on here via youtube, I could probly tell you what the noise is. Look at the plug wire carefully and make sure it has no burnt or melted spots from laying on the header. You could just replace that wire if you can find a donor for it.

If its leaking exhaust from the header gasket at the #6 primary then youll need to replace the header gasket. This is a very common issue with the cheap stock or aftermarket paper header gaskets. If you have to change them do your self a favor and get the performance reusable aluminum ones. they are made of a soft aluminum in layers. They seal up very well and are resistant to burning out ....
The most common reason header gaskets blow out is a loose, missing or broken header bolt.

If its not a blown header gasket or arcing wire causing the noise , and removing the spark from that cylinder gets rid of it, then you likely have an internal knock. IE worn rod bearing or something.

If you can get a video up I could tell you more .
Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I guess your right Dawson. It probably is not a lifter then. Just make sure that if and when you swap the header gasket(s) to go ahead and make sure all the header bolts are in good shape. Personally, I just order ARP everything and call it a day (28 bucks on jegs). Just be sure to re-tighten them after you put it through a heat cycle or two. They also make these awesome locking header bolts so you don't have to worry about them coming loose or re-tightening them. I have no experience with those, but they make them. Those I believe are around 60-70 bucks.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 AM
usbutlermc

Thank you! I will get a video up later tonight if I can figure out how! I'm a rookie at this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1992 lx making terrible noise after tune up PLEASE HELP!!