Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Quarter Window Louvers?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Default Quarter Window Louvers?

Has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flush-...dow-vents.html

I really like the flush look, but something makes me hesitate every time I go to buy them. Not even sure what it is, possibly taking the stock windows out. Anyway, I like them because they are more like my Fastback quarters, wondered if anyone has given these a shot and what you thought.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Quite a few people have these, might get more answers in the model year specific section instead of the V6 section!

They are personally my favorite.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
Has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flush-...dow-vents.html

I really like the flush look, but something makes me hesitate every time I go to buy them. Not even sure what it is, possibly taking the stock windows out. Anyway, I like them because they are more like my Fastback quarters, wondered if anyone has given these a shot and what you thought.
66and06stangs,

Good question. While the the SHR Flush Mount Quarter Window Louvers are pretty attractive having to pull the window was a turn-off. Take a look at the SHR's Install guide and compare it with MMD's Quarter Window Louver Install Guide; There's not much room for error and if they're installed incorrectly there's a chance that the car could take on water. Compare that with MMD's, Piece of cake! I wanted to get a set of these on my '08 Bullitt for the longest time and while I kept coming back to them I settled on a set of MMD's Classic Quarter Window Louvers and couldn't be happier!

Even if I were to somehow grow old of the look they're attached with 3M Doublesided tape and could be removed with a heat gun or hairdryer and dental floss for another style to be installed.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps!

-Alex
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Alex, I was looking at these, tried to run a chat window but it wouldn't work:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-cl...013-matte.html

I have 2 Stangs, a 66 Fastback and an 06. These, of course, are for my 40 year newer girl. I would like the look of the older, but these are nice but I do not see this exact style for this year. Can't decide, but these would work until I get the nerve to buy the ones that require a window removal. I like the black matte, and they aren't big like most of them appear to be.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 AM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

I just had a set of the flush mount windows installed. I have a friend that installs glass put them in for me. it took him about 45 minutes. The instructions that came with them matched exactly what he did. I would have done it myself if I he didn't do it for me. I love the look. I still have the glass if I wanted to go back but I doubt I will.

Name:  photo1_zpsacd42156.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  120.6 KB
Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
66and06stangs,

Good question. While the the SHR Flush Mount Quarter Window Louvers are pretty attractive having to pull the window was a turn-off. .......

Even if I were to somehow grow old of the look they're attached with 3M Doublesided tape and could be removed with a heat gun or hairdryer and dental floss for another style to be installed.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps!

-Alex
Alex.... you're missing the point of the Silver horse flush mount louvers.

They're designed so that the driver can still have use of the quarter windows. Basically....You can still see out of them which is useful if you actually check your blind spot when driving and changing lanes. Whereas the majority of other models block the window and render it useless. The solution itself requires a bit of work, but if done properly the window shouldn't leak. And its not going to cause a persnickity inspection station to fail you for blocking the blind spot on a passenger vehicle.

I'm considering this mod myself as its not common and its not adding any unnecessary drag to the vehicle. Traditional louvers do.

Take a look at how this was executed on Tanner's ride and you'll agree it looks sharp as hell. Traditional louvers can't touch it for looks without losing a functional window.

Just saying.

---
Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had Ford's window guy install my Louvers. He told me the process was the same as replacing the window. No leaks here and they were installed Dec. 2009!

Name:  DSC_0238.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0240.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0241.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  83.6 KB

For work I drive a big truck with no back windows so I am used to relying on side mirrors. On the stang I put blind spot mirrors on the side mirrors and it helps out a lot!

Last edited by 07 Stang; 06-12-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
Alex, I was looking at these, tried to run a chat window but it wouldn't work:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-cl...013-matte.html

I have 2 Stangs, a 66 Fastback and an 06. These, of course, are for my 40 year newer girl. I would like the look of the older, but these are nice but I do not see this exact style for this year. Can't decide, but these would work until I get the nerve to buy the ones that require a window removal. I like the black matte, and they aren't big like most of them appear to be.
66and06stangs-Sorry about the glitch on our end. Given TeePee's feedback it's sounding like this could be done in your shop/garage with littler effort. I was mainly going off a past experience! They're definitely a lot cleaner of a look and you're going to have the ability to not create a nuisance of a blind spot.

Regarding the the right year they can be found right here: MMD's Classic Quarter Window Louver Matte Black 05-09

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Alex.... you're missing the point of the Silver horse flush mount louvers.

They're designed so that the driver can still have use of the quarter windows. Basically....You can still see out of them which is useful if you actually check your blind spot when driving and changing lanes. Whereas the majority of other models block the window and render it useless. The solution itself requires a bit of work, but if done properly the window shouldn't leak. And its not going to cause a persnickity inspection station to fail you for blocking the blind spot on a passenger vehicle.

I'm considering this mod myself as its not common and its not adding any unnecessary drag to the vehicle. Traditional louvers do.

Take a look at how this was executed on Tanner's ride and you'll agree it looks sharp as hell. Traditional louvers can't touch it for looks without losing a functional window.

Just saying.

---
Reading you loud and clear on this!! I was just citing a previous experience with them and wanted to make sure that the OP was looking at something that could be installed in a pinch! My install lasted a little longer than what was said above... If you're to look on the product page for the SHR Flush Mount Quarter Window Louver you'll notice they're in Dark Highland Green...

(The blind spot isn't that bad )
Old 06-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Thanks, Cruzin.

Op, I had mine installed by a shop when they were doing my hood. It was a pain for them to do, because they didn't read the instructions. It will be easier on yours, since it's an '05-'09 (I'm assuming, since that's what you linked) and you don't have to trim any of the interior. I'm glad I had them installed by a shop, so I didn't have to worry about taking out the glass or making sure they were sealed up well. Added peace of mind, but I'm sure if you took your time you could figure out the install yourself.

I love the end result. I had CDC window louvers on my '05, the stick on kind. They looked nice enough, and were easy to see through. However, I like these so much more. The flush mount looks cleaner and there is almost no obstruction through the quarter windows.

Anyway, here are some pictures. Like most mods, I don't think pictures do them justice, but I might be a bit biased.

Name:  SideNew_zpsd2a99e13.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  92.7 KB
Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus

Regarding the the right year they can be found right here: MMD's Classic Quarter Window Louver Matte Black 05-09

My original post had this link - they are NOT the same. I want the flush quarter windows, this link appears to be a louver that sticks on the window. I'm thinking I want the flush ones, that I have to remove the window for..... are there any of that type Alex?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quarter Window Louvers?