Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pinging Noise Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM
gregthomas07gt

Default Pinging Noise Help

I've been trying to chase down a pinging noise on my 07 GT and wondered if someone might be able to help. My only mods are a C&L Street intake, C&L 93 tune and Borla axlebacks. The pinging noise only happens right when I get back on the throttle after a shift and lasts for a fraction of a second and sounds like the noise old cars used to make when they would "run on" after you shut them off. This mostly occurs on a 2nd to 3rd shift, and at part throttle. I've never heard it at WOT. It doesn't do it every time I run through the gears and it's much worse when the AC is running or when someone is riding with me. Also, if I reload my tune it never happens for the first 50 or so miles. The car has 82000 miles and runs great otherwise. I've tried different brands of fuel, 91 octane tune with 93 octane fuel, backing off of the global timing, backing off of the 2k to 4k timing and adding octane booster. Nothing has helped so far. Any ideas? I do tend to pay WAY to much attention to minor noises so if I'm worrying over nothing then let me know that also haha!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First I'd try another brand of 93 octane, then I'd try one of your lower octane tunes again. Who's tunes are you running? I'd contact the tuner if for a modified tune if it persists.

You may also want to run a tank or 2 of SeaFoam or Techron although, I doubt that would solve the problem. Also, clean the TB if it hasn't been done recently. And when did you last change the fuel filter?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First I'd try another brand of 93 octane, then I'd try one of your lower octane tunes again. Who's tunes are you running? I'd contact the tuner if for a modified tune if it persists.

You may also want to run a tank or 2 of SeaFoam or Techron although, I doubt that would solve the problem. Also, clean the TB if it hasn't been done recently. And when did you last change the fuel filter?
This.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM
gregthomas07gt

I've already tried different brands of 93 fuel with the 93 tune and the 91 tune. The tuner and intake came with the car when I bought it so I'm not the original purchaser of the C&L tunes so C&L won't work with me on it. I'd have to purchase new tunes.

I haven't tried the SeaFoam or changing the fuel filter, but I will. I also have a new set of plugs and a lisle tool on the way. The original plugs are still in it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 PM
gregthomas07gt

So I richened the WOT fueling at 2k to 4k rpm by about 2% and this seems to have helped it. Time will tell since it has gone away and come back before. It seems to feel a little lazy in this RPM range now though. But this brings up a question for me. At what point does the ECU consider WOT? I assumed that since I didn't have it floored that I wasn't at WOT but still the adjustment has helped. Is it simply based on a percentage? How can I tell when I'm at WOT? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The pinging is caused by insufficient fuel and/or octane vs. too much timing. Adding more fuel in the tune like you did is a good solution, and you can add more if you need to. You might need to reduce "Global Spark" a little as well but that will reduce power a little.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 AM
gregthomas07gt

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
The pinging is caused by insufficient fuel and/or octane vs. too much timing. Adding more fuel in the tune like you did is a good solution, and you can add more if you need to. You might need to reduce "Global Spark" a little as well but that will reduce power a little.
Thanks. I tried reducing the global spark last week, didn't help. Still no pinging with the WOT fuel adjustment... I just don't understand why this would help if it's pinging under normal driving conditions instead of WOT. I've never heard it ping while getting on it. Maybe it is, I just can't hear it.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 PM
gregthomas07gt

So the pinging came back... I've tried SeaFoam and octane booster neither of which worked. I'm changing plugs and fuel filter this weekend. Any other ideas?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 PM
gregthomas07gt

Changed the fuel filter... still got the ping. Any other ideas? New plugs go in tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Do they recommend a lower temp thermostat with the tune you are running?

Quick Reply: Pinging Noise Help