Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange popping noise coming from wheel well area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:55 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Added lock washers to my swaybar link nuts as they kept coming loose. Seems to have fixed it for good.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
AaronM

Originally Posted by jahudso2
If you push in the clutch is the noise still there? Or if you have an auto, let off the gas? Just wondering if its engine ping b/c of the summer? Probably not it, but just throwing out ideas
My mustang CE is an automatic. I'm 99.99% sure it's not coming from the engine, transmission, or clutch.

I totally baby this car. I never peel out, accelerate, or brake too hard. The car is in pristine condition.

The weird thing is I only hear it on the freeway with the windows up because the wind drowns out the noise. It does the same thing whether my AC/Heater is on or off too.

As soon as I lower my speed to less than 40-50mph (when I hit traffic) the noise goes away. It's been making the noise even before spring time so I don't think weather is a factor.

I'm pretty sure that what ever this crackling noise is it's not hurting the car in any way as far as safety or performance.

It's just pretty damn annoying!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:25 PM
AaronM

Originally Posted by AaronM
My mustang CE is an automatic. I'm 99.99% sure it's not coming from the engine, transmission, or clutch.

I totally baby this car. I never peel out, accelerate, or brake too hard. The car is in pristine condition.

The weird thing is I only hear it on the freeway with the windows up because the wind drowns out the noise. It does the same thing whether my AC/Heater is on or off too.

As soon as I lower my speed to less than 40-50mph (when I hit traffic) the noise goes away. It's been making the noise even before spring time so I don't think weather is a factor.

I'm pretty sure that what ever this crackling noise is it's not hurting the car in any way as far as safety or performance.

It's just pretty damn annoying!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Forgot to mention...

Yeah the noise is still there if I let off the gas when doing 60-80mph.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

I have a similar problem. Started happening all of a sudden and it is most noticeable when driving slow. Does not matter much turning or not, hard to pinpoint exact location and happens even when the engine is off. Its a small metal noise, popping like a small metal part like a loose nut or bolt hitting something larger like a small thin metal plate... Happens totally randomly...
Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
I have a similar problem. Started happening all of a sudden and it is most noticeable when driving slow. Does not matter much turning or not, hard to pinpoint exact location and happens even when the engine is off. Its a small metal noise, popping like a small metal part like a loose nut or bolt hitting something larger like a small thin metal plate... Happens totally randomly...
Anybody here have a CAI?

Shortly after putting my Steeda intake/SCT tune back after a dealer visit, got a persistant squeak from up front even with the smallest of bumps. Thought it might be associated with the end-links again. However, searching about the engine area, I accidently touched the CAI. Squeak, squeak! Turns out I had forgotten to remove the rubber grommets from the factory intake and put 'em on the Steeda! So metal on metal. Duh.

Cheers.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I have the same noise in my 07 GT. It sounds like maybe the passenger side forward O2 sensor plug tapping on the headers or something every once in a while. I wish Mustangs were not full of annoying noises.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 AM
AaronM

I don't mean to bump this thread but I thought it would be useful for others having this problem to know that I did get this fixed.

To my surprise it was the strut mounts. The crackle noise was so dull I had a hard time believing it was the strut mounts but as the experts here were right!

When the advice was given to check the strut mounts I did have a look and felt the bolts by hand to see if they were loose. They seemed to be pretty tight so I dismissed it.

The noise kept bothering me so much I decided to take a wrench to the 4 strut mount bolts and was able to tighten two of the bolts about a quarter of a turn. The other two bolts were on solid tight. After tightening them I still didn't think that would do the trick because they were on pretty tight already.

Thankfully that quarter of a turn must have been enough because the noise is now gone. I'm crossing my fingers that was it.

I'd like to thank everyone who shared their advice!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Chels0611

I have the same problem on my 2000 gt .. Im going to check the strut mounts I really hope that fixes it .. Thanks