5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 PM
toyota89

Angry Help!!!

im working on a 90 5.0 standerd trans hatchback. came in as I went into store came out want crank. found no fuel psi. replaced pump after checking fuse, pwer to pump ect. have fuel psi but no spark. checked coil and no pwer out if coil but power in. replaced. still no spark while cranking... when you release the key when cranking it sparks twice? items that have been swapt and no change...
ignition coil
tune up including cap rotor ect.
icm
ignition switch.
ive checked for power to everything and it has recommended voltage.
checked my grounds and for corrosion.
the only thing left I belive is the distributor and or ecu
please help. I don't want to thro parts like it starting to turn out as.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

If it's a no spark condition the best thing to do is start backward from the plugs until you find the problem. Distributor may not even be turning.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
toyota89

distributor is turning but would the stator in the distributor be an issue?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

This article should get you going. Remember to start from the top and work your way down the checklist. You might find problems you never knew you had!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...checklist.html

When you're done with that, or want to have a look at almost everything else, use this:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/

Hope this helps.

Edit -- If you still have questions after reading through those checklists and looking at the diagrams and such, fire away.

Last edited by 90nSSMD; 07-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM
toyota89

went through checklist and found nothing. found a pcm and swapt for fun. nothing changed. still have no spark except when you let go of the key while cranking it will spark twice. and still no fuel as well. don't know what im over looking. ecm has power in a good ground but no fire to pump or spark
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Try pulling the computer out and check for loose wires in connections. My car did this awhile ago and it took me awhile to trace that one down.

Have you tried swapping computers, it's rare that they go out, but mine did. Autozone has remans for $100.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

imo-You have a bad connection in your ignition system. I can't tell you exactly where without the diagram. I believe what is happening is: When you release the key, no current is going to the starter, so you get enough voltage to the ignition to get spark. If your battery voltage stays above 9V when cranking, it can only mean (imo) that you have at least one poor connection in the ignition system so that you are not getting enough to run the spark while the starter is cranking. Here is a quick way to tell if I am correct, get a second battery that you can jumper cable directly to the starter. Turn the key to run, then jumper the starter with the second battery. If it starts up, you'll just need to chase down the electrical issue.

Search this Thread