Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Questions

Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Questions

I just purchased a set of BBK lt headers and catted Xpipe for my 2010 4.6GT. I'm having my mechanic install them (I'm too old to be dragging my *ss under the car that much). LOL. I've been reading a lot on this forum about the benefits and drawbacks xpipes. When i was looking to purchase, I wanted to get the parts from the same manufacturer for ease of install. The only option (that i saw) from bbk was a catted xpipe. I'm sure it will work fine, however I'm concerned that from what I've been reading that the xpipe is going to make my car sound more like a "ricer"!! For the time being I'm going to keep the factory mufflers, but will probably change them out at some point. Is it true that my car will sound more like a subaru? Also, and i know you all figured this question was coming...will I notice a distinct difference with performance? As of now, i'm running an Airaid CAI, and a Bama 93 race tune. Thanks in advance....
Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 PM
RCrumb

Yes your 4.6L will sound like a Subaru WRX around town. Open the throttle and the GT comes back. Personally, I'd do long tubes and a custom h-pipe if I could turn back the clack.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

It's a v8, it will sound f'ng great! (an x on a v6 sounds like crap). The long tubes help a lot in terms of sound, and the high-flow x will flow more. Your mufflers will affect the sound more than anything now.
If you want to hear how it sounds, leave the over-axle pipes disconnected and idle it at different rpms.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:05 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses! When I was a kid I was a real "Motörhead", and if I didn't like something I did, I'd just fix it. I put so many different cams into my 351c, that it became a standing joke. Nah, this one's too mild, hmmm this one's too aggressive. The same went for carbs. It took a while, but it was fun to do, and I finally got the performance I wanted out of the car (1973 gran Torino). Now that someone else is doing the work, I don't want to waste their time...even though I'm paying for it...lol. Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you haven't already, be sure to get a retune from Bama to turn off the rear O2 sensors.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Your car will not sound like a Subaru. I have an X pipe, but no cats.

My only concern for you is that often times the cats put in those x pipes are Hi flow cats that do not last and end up causing issues by getting clogged. It doesn't always happen, but it's not uncommon. Just keep that in mind. Do a little research and see if the brand you bought does this. I hope not.

The car will sound absolutely awesome. People will turn their heads.

It's not uncommon for people to follow me around town just to listen to my car. Or tell me they heard my car on the on ramp and blah blah blah. It's always nice to hear.

Enjoy!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 AM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

I've already got the updated bama tunes ready to go. I'm keeping all o2 sensors, and as far as i know, this setup is smog legal in New York. I've got the catted x-pipe specifically made for these lt headers, and I'm hoping that it doesn't throw any DTCs. As for the cats clogging,I did do a web search on this subject, and found quite a few posts. It seems that most of the time, the cats were clogging due to running too rich, or too lean (overheating). BBK was listed along with other brands, so it doesn't seem to be specifically a BBK issue, but it's good to know about this problem. Thanks for the input!!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Your axle backs really shape the tone. Some borla s types will sound amazing with your setup. The stock mufflers really tame the headers, so keep that in mind if your not happy with the tone ie not loud enough.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

For anyone who might be interested in a followup, I had my headers and catted xpipe installed at my local shop (along with an updated Bama tune), and I have to say, the car does NOT sound like a suburu! That's for sure! Frankly, the car is a little louder than I'd like, but not terrible, and there is, obviously, a noticeable increase in performance. Thanks to all who responded to my questions. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the outcome, and kudos to BBK for a very nice product. The headers and xpipe fit perfectly, and the mechanic who did the work said that, although time consuming, the install went without a hitch.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Awesome. How about a video sound clip?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions