Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with my car right now

Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Not happy with my car right now

So, I've been having a lot of problems with my car recently, AC won't work, radio goes in and out, temp gauge doesn't work, and I can't fill the car up because it just spits the gas back at me. I took the car to a dealership to have them look at it and this is what I'm told:

They can't fix the radio because its aftermarket and they don't know what was done to it (the radio worked for 3 years prior to this), the AC has no leaks or anything like that but the compressor isn't being told to turn on, so the PCM is faulty, and that the EVAP device by the gas tank is broke so I have to replace it. That will cost $800. How does that just all of a sudden decide to not work?

Sigh, I think I'm going to end up selling this hunk of crap unless I can find some way to fix these issues. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
So, I've been having a lot of problems with my car recently, AC won't work, radio goes in and out, temp gauge doesn't work, and I can't fill the car up because it just spits the gas back at me. I took the car to a dealership to have them look at it and this is what I'm told:

They can't fix the radio because its aftermarket and they don't know what was done to it (the radio worked for 3 years prior to this), the AC has no leaks or anything like that but the compressor isn't being told to turn on, so the PCM is faulty, and that the EVAP device by the gas tank is broke so I have to replace it. That will cost $800. How does that just all of a sudden decide to not work?

Sigh, I think I'm going to end up selling this hunk of crap unless I can find some way to fix these issues. Any ideas?
If the radio is modified it's not fords fault it doesn't work anymore. Also, it's a 5 year old car, **** breaks and need replacing. It happens. You are gonna lose more money selling the car and buying another than you will fixing the issues you have.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:52 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
If the radio is modified it's not fords fault it doesn't work anymore. Also, it's a 5 year old car, **** breaks and need replacing. It happens. You are gonna lose more money selling the car and buying another than you will fixing the issues you have.
I understand its not Ford's fault for the radio, I just didn't understand how that EVAP system just all of a sudden stops working. I know I'd lose money, which is why i don't want to sell it, but its VERY frustrating owning this car right now. Plus I have no clue if I would lose more money than it would cost because I can't find anywhere that can figure out the problem so they can't really fix it. I took it to 2 shops before the dealership.

Does anyone know of any good performance shops near OKC. Thats where I'm moving to in about a week. Maybe if I can find someone used to installing aftermarket parts they can figure it out.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Google a bit, and you'll figure stuff out....don't be afraid to get your hands dirty if you want to save money!

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...lution-465217/

There are also online manuals for these cars...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Weird stuff happens when you get the dreaded water leak. Water into the cabin by the smart junction box passenger side. Check for that. The fuel issue. My car has had it since I got it and my 2011 ford cube van has since day 1. Ford managed to design a total pos setup. It's so frustrating.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Google a bit, and you'll figure stuff out....don't be afraid to get your hands dirty if you want to save money!

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...lution-465217/

There are also online manuals for these cars...
For the last 2 months I've been googling, posting here, asking friends, everything. No one can seem to find the issue and so its over my level of expertise. I guess I can do the EVAP thing myself, but that is honestly the least of my problems. I need to get the AC, radio, temp gauge and cylinder head temp sensor fixed.

Weird stuff happens when you get the dreaded water leak. Water into the cabin by the smart junction box passenger side. Check for that. The fuel issue. My car has had it since I got it and my 2011 ford cube van has since day 1. Ford managed to design a total pos setup. It's so frustrating.
I have checked several times for the water leak, basically any time it rains here and never found anything.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:34 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

As for EVAP stuff just happens, I had an 08 Impala that the EVAP canister just rusted out at the connector... No idea why, it wasn't exposed to ANYTHING, it was behind the splash guard and everything. Once I swapped it out (about a 30 minute job) everything was fine.

These cars are pretty decent (generally). Though as they age they break.. it happens.

Also, check with the tuners, MAYBE something in the tune affected the AC. The AC is a complex system now-a-days... You could try reverting to stock and seeing if it works without the tune. If it does, then its the tune, if not, then its something else.... Just a thought
Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

$800 is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of cash you'd hemorrhage on a new car. Either way, I'd look into DIY'ing as much of this as possible, then get everything else done by a non-dealership mechanic (IME, they charge too much).
Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Alternator???? maybe battery
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM
P51V6

Sadly I've been having a lot of little problems like this and mine is a 13 with 12k miles. I love my car but there's no way i'm keeping it when the warranty runs out. I hope you figure things out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not happy with my car right now