Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high flow cats worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM
jbodak31
1st Gear Member

Default high flow cats worth it?

I have a 2006 saleen mustang with the stock exhaust. I want to get a deeper sound from the exhaust. I have tried both o/r x and h pipes and it makes the car sound very tinny. I was considering buying a high flow catted h pipe. Is it worth the money or is it going to sound like my stock h pipe.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

I'd say so. The volume difference will be noticeable. IF it still isn't what you're looking for, you can always put on an offroad pipe

As for the tinny sound, that can probably be attributed to the X pipe which will produce a more raspy sound compared to the deeper pitch of an H.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:53 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I'm not familiar with the emissions laws where you are, but have you considered going with long tube headers?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 AM
jbodak31
1st Gear Member

I've tried both o/r x and h pipe and with the saleen exhaust it sounds tinny. Saleen uses magnaflow axlebacks with the center exhaust outlet, so changing mufflers is out of the question. The stock pipe is a h pipe now. I was looking into the MRT catted h pipe or the magnafow one. What do you guys think?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM
jbodak31
1st Gear Member

brenspeed said long tube headers are a nightmare with saleen's due to the lowering of the vehicle. If I do headers it would be shorties.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:44 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Lots of people have lowered cars with LTs... Not sure what the drop on the S281s are. As for the rear exhaust you CAN change the mufflers, but you'll either need to have a welder or know one who can cut and weld em in. I love the looks of the Saleen center exhaust but that was one determining factor to not going with the saleen rear conversion

As for the hi-flo... I plan on going LT and since I have to deal with emissions here in MD I plan on getting hi-flo cats with the midpipe.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

HFs dont effect the tone much at all IMO. For a deeper tone with no cats, clamp in some resonators mid mounted under the car. Pypes m80s, or MBRP are great choices. This is what I have done with Borla S types out back. Tone is thick, deep and nasty. I have had magnaflow, flowmaster and several off brands, by far this is the best sounding setup ever. Mid mounted resonators dont lower the sound volume much either, they just clean it up and make it deeper.
Just a cell phone video so the tone wont be very accurate to the rear world but it gives you an idea.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:33 AM
CoolStuffForDummies

^^^ Car sounds good. Probably sounds twice as good in real life. Seems like Borla would be the best choice for any S197 IMO, the stingers or the s-types for '05-'10 definitely.

I'm a fan of the ATAK catback for the 5.0's and that's probably what i'll end up getting. Plenty loud with great sound quality and it isn't too high-pitched, even though it comes with an x-pipe. Probably leave the stock cats/shorties. Definitely expensive for a catback but I need the car to sound right. I've heard a lot of other combos in real life, flowmasters, muffler deletes, stainless works, they all sound wrong in one way or another to me.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

It does sound twice as good live. Camara mics dont pick up any of the deep tones. It has quite the thick longtube tone, and the borlas, by far the best. The other brand that sounds good on a 5.0 is Corsa Extremes, my buddy has them on his Boss. Its very nice.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about "tone" but going from stock cats to high flow cats is a BIG difference in volume.

Granted this is H pipe to X pipe but this illustrates the volume level difference-
Stock H with MBRP:

Magnaflow catted X with MBRP:

I think a high flow catted H would give you the louder, deeper sound you want without being overbearing. Mine is loud as hell at WOT, but at part throttle still just reasonable enough that my neighbors don't murder me when I leave for work at 6:30 AM.

Quick Reply: high flow cats worth it?