Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

What would you like to see or are disappointed about in the 2015?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Default What would you like to see or are disappointed about in the 2015?

So we have seen some information on the 2015 and I have to admit I have some things I wish Ford had done on the new Mustang. I'm interested in hearing what others were or are still hoping to see in the new Mustang. I know weight reduction is a big one, but what else?

I wish I saw Brembo brakes in the rear of the car. While this isn't the biggest item I wish for and we still might get this in the SVT versions of the car (and thus will be available via aftermarket), I feel Brembo calipers in the rear should be part of the Mustang GT track pack.

An aero-based body panel upgrade. No stupid louvers or non-functional scoops, I'd like to see components (splitters, defusers, hood vents) that assist with stability.

A track-pack suspension that actually has good shock dampening. Why does Ford always give us **** struts/shocks? Seems like they should be able to replicate the kind of spring rate/shock dampening BMW achieves on their M3/M4, SO DO IT ALREADY!

The BIGGEST disappoint (and I know a lot will disagree) is the lack of rev-matching shifts on the 6-speed. I really like what Porsche and Chevy have achieved with their rev-matching manuals and I really like how Chevy gives you the ability to disable this feature should you chose. While I can shift decently well and I can do a lot of rev-matching shifts myself, I often don't get them perfect and during normal driving I would like the added assistance from rev-matching when I'm not focusing on driving the car at +80%. I think Chevy will likely put this technology in their next-gen Camaro, which will force Ford to add it to the Mustang, which will put Ford at a technical disadvantage until it is installed and it will make Ford look like it is reacting to the Camaro rather than paving the way for the Mustang. Defeat-able rev-match shifting is among my biggest disappointments with the new Mustang. Had this feature been there, I would DEFINITELY be buying a new GT in September.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Ah....this is gonna get some backlash but, it would of been cool if they brought back the T-Top option and/or a sunroof. I miss the 80's.....at times. oh, and I wish Ford sold bare-bones Mustang like Ford did once upon a time, no options....V8, Manual trans and a decent rear gear to go along with it, no power anything and the price should be cheaper....not higher priced for removing options. Porsche does that, removes all the options and gives you straps for door handles then charges a much heftier price...WTF? A $25K V8 mustang would sell in the hundred of thousands...maybe? Oh, and think of how a $25K mustang would help the economy....performance parts sales, tire sales, rim sales, stereo sales, insurance companies would make a killing and body shops would probably get a lot of work.....so, ford help the economy and sell bare-bone V8 Mustangs!! it's a win-win for everyone!

Last edited by daredevil95; 03-06-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Ah....this is gonna get some backlash but, it would of been cool if they brought back the T-Top option and/or a sunroof. I miss the 80's.....at times. oh, and I wish Ford sold bare-bones Mustang like Ford did once upon a time, no options....V8, Manual trans and a decent rear gear to go along with it, no power anything and the price should be cheaper....not higher priced for removing options. Porsche does that, removes all the options and gives you straps for door handles then charges a much heftier price...WTF? A $25K V8 mustang would sell in the hundred of thousands...maybe? Oh, and think of how a $25K mustang would help the economy....performance parts sales, tire sales, rim sales, stereo sales, insurance companies would make a killing and body shops would probably get a lot of work.....so, ford help the economy and sell bare-bone V8 Mustangs!! it's a win-win for everyone!
The 80's called and they want their t-tops back

Actually, I think that's a good idea as opposed to roof-line they created. I like my glass roof, but T-tops would be even better.

And the bare-bones approach is a good idea, the thinking that everyone wants/needs all this automation is stupid. Things like heated seats are nice if you live in a cold climate, but a car is not an ipod or a PC.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

How about an honest-to-goodness double clutch paddle shift box...not the wonky paddle automatic they will offer.

+1 on the "minimalist" package...manual seats (since power seats without memory are USELESS and heavy)...rear seat delete...etc....
Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
The 80's called and they want their t-tops back

Actually, I think that's a good idea as opposed to roof-line they created. I like my glass roof, but T-tops would be even better.

And the bare-bones approach is a good idea, the thinking that everyone wants/needs all this automation is stupid. Things like heated seats are nice if you live in a cold climate, but a car is not an ipod or a PC.
I was in HS in the late 80's and all us kids out of HS were able to buy a stripped down 5.0 LX or a stripped down Formula/Iroc 350, those cars were cheap and at most a payment plan of 60 months but, most did it in 36 to 48 months. These cars today are so....overpriced but, they get them with the 72 or 84 month payment plan and it then seems like a reasonable monthly payment. Back in the 80's businesses were more friendly to the consumer and today they ring out every cent in every direction they can....omg! Ford could build and sell them at 25K....easily.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

I'd also like some true GT3 and GT3RS-style models.

The Boss 302 was a great start (with the Laguna Seca model being GT3RS-esk), but I want MORE (or less). They went the correct direction with the RoadRunner motor, Recaro seats, and rear-seat deletes, but in the end the car was still too heavy and the performance was more E92 M3 than 997 GT3.

It should have ligher seats (those recaros don't save much weight), a more stripped out interior, power NOTHING, more aggressive suspension, Brembo brakes front AND rear, wider tires, and a curb weight of 300lbs less than a loaded GT. The GT3RS version should have no AC, interior carpet greatly reduced, and even less interior. And a roll-cage.

If the previous Boss 302 LS had been 3400 lbs, had better seats, a more aggressive suspension package, better brakes, and wider tires…wow.

I also +1 for a double-clutch transmission. I'd pay the extra $2k most manufacturers ask for that option.

I also +1 for a stripped V8 model. Manual everything, V8 engine, 6-speed, all for $5k less than a base GT.

Also, I'd like to go back to the days of old when I could have EXACTLY the options I wanted. You know what I mean, I want a base Mustang GT with 6-speed manual, Brembo brake/track pack, recaros, AND satnav/Sync. Or even a Boss 302 LS with satnav/Sync. I understand that Satnav adds weight, but it isn't like Ford removed the keyless entry, automatic windows, AC, etc. I want every option available for choosing, and I'll pay the premium for exactly what I want.

I mean…my only other option in this segment that isn't a cheap japanese car is a BMW M3 at $70k...
Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
I'd also like some true GT3 and GT3RS-style models.

The Boss 302 was a great start (with the Laguna Seca model being GT3RS-esk), but I want MORE (or less). They went the correct direction with the RoadRunner motor, Recaro seats, and rear-seat deletes, but in the end the car was still too heavy and the performance was more E92 M3 than 997 GT3.

It should have ligher seats (those recaros don't save much weight), a more stripped out interior, power NOTHING, more aggressive suspension, Brembo brakes front AND rear, wider tires, and a curb weight of 300lbs less than a loaded GT. The GT3RS version should have no AC, interior carpet greatly reduced, and even less interior. And a roll-cage.

If the previous Boss 302 LS had been 3400 lbs, had better seats, a more aggressive suspension package, better brakes, and wider tires…wow.

I also +1 for a double-clutch transmission. I'd pay the extra $2k most manufacturers ask for that option.

I also +1 for a stripped V8 model. Manual everything, V8 engine, 6-speed, all for $5k less than a base GT.

Also, I'd like to go back to the days of old when I could have EXACTLY the options I wanted. You know what I mean, I want a base Mustang GT with 6-speed manual, Brembo brake/track pack, recaros, AND satnav/Sync. Or even a Boss 302 LS with satnav/Sync. I understand that Satnav adds weight, but it isn't like Ford removed the keyless entry, automatic windows, AC, etc. I want every option available for choosing, and I'll pay the premium for exactly what I want.

I mean…my only other option in this segment that isn't a cheap japanese car is a BMW M3 at $70k...
I agree, back in the day Ford gave the customer what THEY wanted and now we get what Ford wants to give us with very few choices.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:19 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Ah....this is gonna get some backlash but, it would of been cool if they brought back the T-Top option and/or a sunroof.
Man, I agree!

I'd love a T-top option.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Well, the way I see it...back in the day and still today. This is a modder's car. Ford always offered a great starting template and the aftermarket always provided the rest.

And today Ford needs to keep in mind that the modders from yesterday are all grown up now. We're a bit more sophisticated and know what we want in our Mustangs and might want more options beforehand.

So for me. the big disappointment is that they don't seem to have more capable equipped package options ready to hit the ground running for the 2015 model year launch.

It would be a quick pull of the trigger for me to buy a newer Mustang if the GT350, Mach1 and the GT500 options were also hitting the ground running on launch along side the 2.3 ecoboost, the base package V6 and the Various iterations of GT packages.

Basically...I was a modder, enjoyed my time doing so and would now like to enjoy just buying a Mustang with the options I want on it with the click of a mouse to pre-order and configure it. And using any of the package options they offer as the base template for how I want my car the day I start it up and drive it off the lot. This makes me a modder still, but using the capabilities technology offers me today to get the vehicle how I wish it to be from the dealer with everything covered.

And if I still want to tweak it when I have it in my garage....I can still select from a myriad of after Market options to allow me to do so.

The base packages are still for the younger crowd who want that iconic car, but still want to be able to make it their own and are only limited on what level they can take it to by their imagination and their budget.

For the rest of us who have made our journey and are now enjoying our money and successes. Allow us to have it the way we want it the day we actually buy it.

I think I speak for a wider audience with my wish list. With a "We'll do it your way" approach it would be nice.

There is a good lesson to be learned here from Elon Musk and his approach with manufacture direct purchasing of his Tesla's. Allow a salesman to do what they do and present the car. Then allow the buyer to check off how they want it equipped before its delivered. Then fill that order without the dealerships involved. I would much prefer to buy direct and get it how I want it, rather than have to pick and choose from what the dealer has available in their inventory. That's completely counterintuitive to getting what you want and no matter how you slice it you just wind up settling for what they have to offer or waiting forever before they can get the perfect match in their inventory.

---
Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM
tobaGT

Having been waffling back and forth for a while now on whether to get a 14 now on a steep incentive, or wait for a 15 for the IRS and other options, I've been comparing the cars back and forth quite a lot.

I agree 100% with the OP about the Brembo's. Subaru makes the WRX STI with Brembo's all around, Mitsu with the Evo...cars in a similar price bracket which are smaller and lighter. Why did they not fit the 2-pot rear Brembo's on the new Mustang?

Mechanically, aside from this, I think the new Mustang will be undeniably better dynamically than the outgoing model, primarily due to the IRS and related improvements up front. If they pull out some weight savings too (I heard something in the neighborhood of 200 lbs.) all the better. But, with all this, I'm thinking the price of the new one WILL be higher, comparing equivalent models.

Styling-wise, I wish the 15 had more presence. I've been looking at a lot of side-by-sides at similar angles and such, and the 15 just doesn't have a real muscular appeal to it. I do think it looks more athletic, possibly even poor-man's-aston-martin-vantage looks (that's not a bad thing), but when I think Mustang I think muscle, and to my eyes that is missing, and it's one of the biggest reasons I'm now leaning towards getting a 14 while I still can.

It's conceivable, between incentives, lower interest rates on an outgoing model and whatever the dealer might do to sell a car, and the likely price increase of the new car, to save $10,000. That buys a LOT of mods, and I don't know that the new car will have the street presence of the current one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you like to see or are disappointed about in the 2015?