Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 mustang running hi/low pass for subs

Old 07-12-2014, 10:08 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Question 2014 mustang running hi/low pass for subs

Hello everyone

I finally finished running my power wires (ran it through the grommet beside the battery, and found a ground inside the spare tire area below the latch. I couldn't find any other place to run the ground inside the trunk, there are no bolts anywhere!

Anyway all I have to do now is run the hi/low pass but I can't tell which terminal is the positive and negative on the rear speakers inside the trunk. I got the base model with the 4 speakers and from what I heard the stock stereo doesn't have the pre-outs on the back of it. The speakers have a wire on each side but are the same colour (grey) so I can't tell which one is + and -.

Also my capacitor doesn't seem to be getting any power, I believe the ground that I have is not good enough for my amplifier. Can anyone else tell me where they ran there ground wire inside there trunks?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:15 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I used a seatbelt bracket for a ground once, I would try a few different bolts if the first one wasn't a good ground. Also check behind the carpet on the sides of the trunk for good bolts.
I have never ran a capacitor so I can't help with that.
With the speaker wires it isn't going to make much of a difference that you can hear if you swap the wires. If you really want to have the right wires (and I understand if you do) check the wires again, they might be mostly grey but I am sure that they have another color with them. Then find a wiring diagram (google?) and it should help you figure out which wire goes where. You can also get a multi-meter and try and figure out which wire is pos/neg with it.
Hope that helps...
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

join the12volt.com. its free and theres free wiring diagrams and installers on there to help. good luck
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I run a Alpine MRD-1000 and MRP-250 and have both grounded just fine on a 4 gauge ground with a ring terminal on the end. Sand the paint off down to bare metal on the trunk floor and use a good sheet metal screw. Be sure to know where the other end of the screw is going.

Get rid of the capacitor, they are garbage and actually present a bigger load to your car's charging system. If your charging system is so taxed that your amps use the capacitor and drain it, then your battery & alternator are asked to not only power your amps but to recharge the capacitor as well. Get a better alternator & a yellow top and call it a day before using a capacitor.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

If the wiring hasn't changed form 2012 to 2014 the RR pos is brn-wh and the left rear is wh-grn according to a schematic I just found.

https://www.google.com/search?q=must...h=829#imgdii=_

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 07-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rumtillidie
Anyway all I have to do now is run the hi/low pass but I can't tell which terminal is the positive and negative on the rear speakers inside the trunk. I got the base model with the 4 speakers and from what I heard the stock stereo doesn't have the pre-outs on the back of it. The speakers have a wire on each side but are the same colour (grey) so I can't tell which one is + and -.
correct. the base 4-speaker system uses a radio without any AUX outputs. As for the polarity, with Ford 5.5"x7.5" speakers, if you place the speaker face down with the connector pointing at you, the (+) terminal is on the left. you can verify with a 9 volt battery.

Also my capacitor doesn't seem to be getting any power, I believe the ground that I have is not good enough for my amplifier. Can anyone else tell me where they ran there ground wire inside there trunks?
any piece of body sheetmetal should do. the car's body is one big ground wire.

Originally Posted by ticopowell
With the speaker wires it isn't going to make much of a difference that you can hear if you swap the wires.
What?!? Having speaker(s) out of phase is a good way to kill your system's bass.

Originally Posted by Ricardo
I run a Alpine MRD-1000 and MRP-250 and have both grounded just fine on a 4 gauge ground with a ring terminal on the end. Sand the paint off down to bare metal on the trunk floor and use a good sheet metal screw. Be sure to know where the other end of the screw is going.
I wouldn't use the trunk floor; once you punch a screw through it you've exposed bare metal to water and salt, and pretty much guaranteed your car will start rusting there. Use one of the braces inside the trunk or the package tray sheetmetal; basically any body panel where either side isn't exposed to the elements.

Get rid of the capacitor, they are garbage and actually present a bigger load to your car's charging system. If your charging system is so taxed that your amps use the capacitor and drain it, then your battery & alternator are asked to not only power your amps but to recharge the capacitor as well. Get a better alternator & a yellow top and call it a day before using a capacitor.
agreed, add-on capacitors are bunk. If you have a decent amplifier, it already has enough storage caps inside it to perform as well as it should. The only thing adding an external cap would do is make your lights dim a little less.

Last edited by jz78817; 07-14-2014 at 06:37 PM.