Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Broken window motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Kagnus

Default Broken window motor?

2007 GT 65K

My drivers side window motor will no longer move the window up or down and seems locked in the automatic inch-down position they do when the door is opened. Passenger side works fine. When I toggle the drivers side switch I can hear the motor click but it doesn't move the window and I don't hear the motor spinning. I'm going to open up the door and visually inspect everything and if I can't find anything obviously wrong I will swap it with the passenger side motor and see if it is the motor that is bad(assuming the plugs are the same).

Any suggestion is appreciated!!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Kagnus

Originally Posted by Kagnus
2007 GT 65K

I will swap it with the passenger side motor and see if it is the motor that is bad(assuming the plugs are the same).

Any suggestion is appreciated!!
Yeah that's not going to happen.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:29 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Pull the motor and see if it works. Either replace it of track down other problem if the motor works.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Kagnus

Originally Posted by AzPete
Pull the motor and see if it works. Either replace it of track down other problem if the motor works.
How do i test it? I tried the switch and there is absolutely no response from the motor. I can only figure I would pull the motor and plug it into the passenger side plug... UGH
Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Kagnus

Originally Posted by Kagnus
How do i test it? I tried the switch and there is absolutely no response from the motor. I can only figure I would pull the motor and plug it into the passenger side plug... UGH
Tested the motor! It works! So now the issue lies with the switch/relay. I check fuse #44 and it is fine, so where else could the issue lie? Could it be in the small junction box inside the car?...
Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Kagnus

Come on someone has to have an answer! I replaced teh smart junction box and had it programmed. Nothing changed, I am trying to sell the car and I would like to have it at 100% when I do. The motor works, the switch has power, but there doesn't seem to be power going to the motor and I tested the switch for continuity and it seems to have contact in all positions. Where else can I look for a loss of power? Please help!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

its possible the wires in the door loom, between body and door have separated.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 PM
JimC

So if you tested the motor and it works, confirmed that there is power at the switch, then it has to be somewhere between the motor and where the switch gets power, correct?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Kagnus

Originally Posted by JimC
So if you tested the motor and it works, confirmed that there is power at the switch, then it has to be somewhere between the motor and where the switch gets power, correct?
I believe the power comes from the smart junction box. I am pretty sure the windows are controlled by a circuit board in the SBJ receiving power from the main fuse box. I am 99% sure the SBJ is supplying power to the switch. It may be a loose connector somewhere... I will have to look at the loom like bl817 said.

It must be a loose connector, I have checked the relays and the SBJ is new.

Ok. I'll dig some more.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Kagnus

Default Problem solved?

I think I have this solved. This appears to be a ground issue.

Continuity between switch and motor: Good
Between SBJ and motor: Good
Between switch and SBJ: Good
Ground between motor and switch: None
Other grounds and power wires: 12+volts

Now correct me if I am wrong, but the 1205 BK (black) ground wire leading from the master RF switch to the RF motor should show continuity, and since it does not the switch cannot complete a circuit, thus the motor is receiving no current to tell it what to do. Voltage between the ground wire and power wire on both the window motor and the switch produce 12+ volts, so can we assume their individual connection to the G204 ground is good but the connection between the two is bad. This 1205 BK wire does not run through the SBJ so I am operating under the presumption that is a relatively short wire as the G204 ground connection lies under the pillar in the LH foot well. This connection should be a simple wire-eyelet bolted to the frame/firewall correct?

If this IS correct where is S215 junction so I can check the connections. I don't see any literature in the wiring diagrams addressing this. If no one knows I can probably track the wires back to this splitter. Thank you for reading.