5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Setting timing and stabbing dissy on supercharged mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 PM
OKIEMUSTANG

Default Setting timing and stabbing dissy on supercharged mustang

Got a new dizzy for my 95 with vortech system. 6-7 psi boost.

I can't figure out how to get timing set. I've installed dissy in same position old one came out, car runs decent, but doesn't have the power it should. But where I'm confused is when i try to find compression stroke on cylinder one I'm about 180 degrees out.
When I move dissy to this position 0 tdc it won't start. I set dissy again back where original one was and start it and shine timing light and I'm like at 50... First where should I be with a supercharged engine. I must be close car runs and don't backfire and starts easy. But afraid of causing damage to pistons being off.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

pull the spout when setting base timing
Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 PM
OKIEMUSTANG

I pulled the spout. But should I be that far off when checking w timing light? It is atleast 50 btc or more
Old 07-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Something is vastly wrong, IMO... Either with something you're doing or with the car.

I've heard of the timing ring on balancers rotating around and causing a reading that is WAAAY wacky. Is that possible with your balancer construction?

Is it EXACTLY 180 out when you stab it at 0 tdc or is it nearly 180 out? You sure you're timing the dizzy on the right stroke? 180 out at the dizzy should be way more than 50 out at the balancer.

Have you checked the timing with the old dizzy and gotten the same result?

The very first thing I would do is pull the belt off the blower, and open the intake track if you have to, before something melts while you're figuring this out.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Find TDC on #1 cyl, even pull the valve cover to verify your on compression stoke if your unsure. Note the marks on balancer, they should be at 0'. If not, your balancer moved.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 AM
OKIEMUSTANG

ok, i am checking timing now... i have marked the 0 and the 10 degree mark.

The marks i made while using timing light are about at the 9-oclock area if looking at the harmonic balancer...
Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 AM
OKIEMUSTANG

When i stabbed the dissy originally i made sure the rotor was in the same position and the dissy was in the same location. i assumed this would get me close. after i drove it like this around the block i noticed the engine was getting a little warmer than usual and that it didnt have the power it normally had. i came back and checked timing using timing light. i have marked the 0 and the 10 degree mark.
The marks i made while using timing light are about at the 9-oclock area if looking at the harmonic balancer...

I thought that seemed weird. so i pulled #1 plug and checked for compression. then i noticed, that the rotor was nearly 180 degrees out from facing the #1 plug wire on the rotor. so i pulled dissy and re-installed.. car wouldnt start.. so i went back to where i had it originally and it started right up... but the timing marks when using the timing light are still in the 9 oclock position....

i sure wish i would of checked timing before pulling the dissy out.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:26 AM
OKIEMUSTANG

This is so strange..... maybe i found the issue with not being able to get it timed right..... check this out... this is the way it has been hooked up since i have gotten it. is this why my timing marks are showing so far off?

Name:  MYROTOR_zps05639406.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  95.4 KB
Name:  MYORDER_zps0c6a7da5.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  60.9 KB
Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

firing order is 13726548 starting at no 1 at the back where 1 is marked and going counterclockwise...........cyl on passanger side go: FRONT-1234 Driverside: FRONT-5678
Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 AM
OKIEMUSTANG

Originally Posted by mjr46
firing order is 13726548 starting at no 1 at the back where 1 is marked and going counterclockwise...........cyl on passanger side go: FRONT-1234 Driverside: FRONT-5678

yes sir, this is the way it was hooked up previous... i didnt disconnect anything...
How can this be? i assume this is why i cant get timing light to give me a good reading....

When i check with timing light (car seems to be running decent)
tiMING MARKS ARE AT THE 9 OCLOCK POSITION, where they should be lined up with the timing pointer (about the 1030 position)

so i am at like 50-60 btc atleast

Quick Reply: Setting timing and stabbing dissy on supercharged mustang