Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Metal tapping sound Still without car

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 AM
STANG2013

Default Metal tapping sound Still without car

I took my car for an oil change at the Ford Dealership Monday the 16th of June. They put in 5W20 synthetic blend. It was bought new 18 months ago and has 12K miles on it. I drove it off the lot and I heard an intermittent metal tapping sound ( coming underneath the hood). It comes and goes every 5-10 seconds and sometimes it will tap once or more in random intervals. So I immediately took it back to them.

The first thing they tried was replacing the A/C compressor and that didnt fix it. So they have been waiting for Ford help line to make the next decision over the phone and as of this morning they said Ford called them and they are shipping a new short block from Detroit and will replace my short block and that will put me at 2 and a 1/2 weeks until it MIGHT be fixed. They stated that there have been issues before with these and this should fix the problem as it should be upgraded. I called Ford motor CO and explained that this is a new car and I wanted the entire engine replaced. Is that asking too much? Case #CAS4580353 Any thoughts, opinions and past/similar expierences welcomed.

UPDATE it is July 2nd and I still have not gotten my car back it "should" be done today! This is getting old really quick. Many of my friends that work on cars said they should have replaced the entire engine as the short block wouldn't have produced that sound on its own.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Tapping could come from anywhere... rod knock, piston slap, valve noise, etc. If it wasn't valvetrain noise then a shortblock seems legit to me. If it WAS valvetrain then it wouldn't necessarily need a shortblock. If the engine grenaded and you had valve to piston contact or something equally evil then a long block would be the only "right" solution for a car under warranty, IMO.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Well, if you haven't gotten the car back by July 15th, (30 days+) you can see about the lemon laws in your state. Most are written that if the car has been out of service for 30+ days within the first year of purchase for the same problem or several defects, it may be a lemon.

SO, if you get the car back before 30-days and the problem persists, when you take it back again, the time from your second visit for the same problem can also be used towards that 30-day mark.

This site will help you out a bit.

http://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

Last edited by Derf00; 07-02-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:11 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by STANG2013
I took my car for an oil change at the Ford Dealership Monday the 16th of June. They put in 5W20 synthetic blend. It was bought new 18 months ago and has 12K miles on it. I drove it off the lot and I heard an intermittent metal tapping sound ( coming underneath the hood). It comes and goes every 5-10 seconds and sometimes it will tap once or more in random intervals. So I immediately took it back to them.

The first thing they tried was replacing the A/C compressor and that didnt fix it. So they have been waiting for Ford help line to make the next decision over the phone and as of this morning they said Ford called them and they are shipping a new short block from Detroit and will replace my short block and that will put me at 2 and a 1/2 weeks until it MIGHT be fixed. They stated that there have been issues before with these and this should fix the problem as it should be upgraded. I called Ford motor CO and explained that this is a new car and I wanted the entire engine replaced. Is that asking too much? Case #CAS4580353 Any thoughts, opinions and past/similar expierences welcomed.

UPDATE it is July 2nd and I still have not gotten my car back it "should" be done today! This is getting old really quick. Many of my friends that work on cars said they should have replaced the entire engine as the short block wouldn't have produced that sound on its own.
I didn’t realize you part of this forum as well, STANG2013. I see your CSM will be contacting you today. This should get resolved soon.

Deysha
Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 PM
STANG2013

Got car back July 3rd so far so good.....after they replaced the short block the noise is gone. The paperwork says it was the crank shaft....
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by STANG2013
Got car back July 3rd so far so good.....after they replaced the short block the noise is gone. The paperwork says it was the crank shaft....
Great! Glad to learn it’s good to go, STANG2013. Thank you for the update!

Deysha
Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

It sure would be nice to know what was going on with the crankshaft. Premature wear due to poor hardening process? Bearing seize?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Or just plain installed incorrectly. Who knows. If it's an isolated case, it doesn't really matter other than 'just to know'. If it's common then a TSB will be coming. I haven't heard of any other mustangs having this issue.

Example 06 V6 Escape has a TSB for clacking noises from the front valve train bank of the engine. Turns out the cam was installed slightly out of alignment. The TSB is to remove the front valve cover (closest to radiator), remove all the cam caps, nudge the camshaft forward (towards the radiator), reinstall all the cam caps while keeping pressure on the camshaft in the new position, reinstall valve cover.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I will say it's pretty cool Ford replaced the engine. Who actually knows what the exact sound was, but it's gone with the new block then fine. Take it! I know dealerships can be a nightmare depending on which one it is.. Has nothing to do with Ford at all, all car makes and models have good and bad service centers, glad you got a good one and the issue is (thus far) resolved !
Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

I've been reading forums ahead of buying a Mustang and I'm trying to see what kind if issues people are hav

Quick Reply: Metal tapping sound Still without car