New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Mustang for a teen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM
hmsusauk

Default Mustang for a teen?

Hello - I am looking at some 1999-2004 Mustang Convertibles (automatic) for me to enjoy over the summer, but to also have my 17 year old drive and learn more about the car.

With anywhere from 42,000 to 80,000 miles, most of them are not as powerful as new, but I was curious if anyone had any input as the suitability of these for a newer teen driver. I am particularly interested in a '99 GT.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Welcome!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Welcome! Being in NJ, I would recommend a coupe over a convertible. But I see no reason that a responsible teen couldnt handle a 2v. The 99-early 00 GT's do have problems blowing out the spark plugs, which is a pricey repair. They also have the plastic intake manifold (IIRC) which cracks.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

All depends on the teen. Is your son/daughter responsible and are YOU a parent that makes them take responsibility? If you've already taken offense to this post then you are not a responsible parent nor will your kid be

Anyways, beyond that, if you are planning on getting a GT and letting them drive it, you need to lay down some ground rules and ENFORCE them when needed. The main thing is that the car shouldn't be street raced or used to show off. Those are the two main reasons kids get into trouble with these cars. Street race because some idiot in a Vtec revs at them or to show off to some people and ends up driving right into a ditch or worse, killing themselves or someone else.

You more than anyone should have a good handle on whether you and/or your kid can handle the responsibility of a car like that.

I have three kids. Two I trust with just about anything/everything one, I wouldn't trust further than I can throw them.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM
hmsusauk

Thank you to NYStang - am curious why you recommend a couple v vert in NJ?

Thank you also to Derf00 - yes, he is a responsible teen and I do make him take responsibility. You make some very good points and I appreciate them.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by hmsusauk
Thank you to NYStang - am curious why you recommend a couple v vert in NJ?

Thank you also to Derf00 - yes, he is a responsible teen and I do make him take responsibility. You make some very good points and I appreciate them.
Then you should be fine, just be sure to lay down the ground rules and be ready to enforce them if he breaks them, even if he's just trying to see if you are 'serious'

Not to speak for NYStang but my guess is that in an accident (especially a rollover type), a coupe can take more punishment and you or whoever is driving/passenger will be more likely to survive.

Also, coupes are lighter and faster than their convertible versions in those years. Verts have to add additional structural components to be more rigid which makes them heavier.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Derf covered half- plus with a vert, I cant imagine what idiotic things I would have tried. Plus they lack space in the trunk, and folding rear seats which will come in handy during summer roadtrips and college. Also, NJ has seasons. Winter sucks in a vert. ALso its one more thing that could go wrong/be vandalized, since other teens can be spiteful and idiotic fools.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:32 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Have you considered the extra costs on insuring a teen driver on a V-8 sports car?

That may change your mind on this matter.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I had a 72 Mach1 when I was 16 and I turned out ok hehe, it just gave me an addiction to fast cars.....
Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Teen agers ( especially boys ) are natural show offs. In almost every driving scenario, replace mom or dad as a passenger with Andrea the teen age girl from up the street and that boy will forget every thing Mom or Dad taught him lol . Expect to replace rear tires, and a clutch .

Quick Reply: Mustang for a teen?