4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1998 Mustang door chime won't turn off

Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 PM
BlackMustang4Life

Default 1998 Mustang door chime won't turn off

The door chime will NOT shut off, unless I completely remove the key from the ignition.

I put WD40 into the door hinge, but that did not help anything. I have to drive around with the damn door chime on.

How can I disable it?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
BlackMustang4Life

Nevermind. Fixed it.

Pulled a white box out and it's fixed
Old 05-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Arasa

I have the same problem right now. I located the white box but how do I remove it?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Suek
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arasa
I have the same problem right now. I located the white box but how do I remove it?
Did you fix it? I have the same thing. No one says exactly what to do. I thought about looking for the black/pink wire in back of the key switch. They say that will cut the noise out for the key. Mine goes ALL THE TIME. If I cut the wire they say I'll have no blinker sound.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Arasa

I haven't fixed it yet...It's still dinging! I'm afraid to cut the black & pink wire. Have you had any success??
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Suek
1st Gear Member

I haven't fixed it yet...It's still dinging! I'm afraid to cut the black & pink wire. Have you had any success??
Sorry I'm late. You don't have to cut the black/pink wire. I unscrewed the plastic cover under the ignition cylinder. I found the black/pink wire and pull it out or it kind of fell out with no problem. It has a black plastic piece on the other end. It snaps in up at the lock cylinder. You'll see the flat rectangle brass contact sticking out. No ding ding. HAHAHA I have a 2002, I assume yours will be the same. Good luck.
Now to get rid of the headlight ding.

Last edited by Suek; 07-24-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Arasa

Thank you soo much!!! I'm going to try it and let you know.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Suek
1st Gear Member

Thank you soo much!!! I'm going to try it and let you know.
Yes let me know. I am going attempt pulling out the door ajar sometime. Either disable it or put a new one in. Sometimes that wire (black/pink) with the flat contact gets bent and sets off the chime too, The one for the ignition. I seen that on Youtube. Then of course the door ajar too can be out of whack thinking your door is always opened etc. I suspect my door ajar may be the problem. Before the dome lights contacts that hold the bulbs the light would be on even if the door was completely shut.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:14 PM
H82LOOZE

Default SN95 Mustang Door Chime won't turn off

Hello Fellow "Stangers!!"
I've run across this issue myself, researched it and have also seen just about every answer from cutting the Blk/Pnk wire, mutilating the ignition switch and it's assembly to disabling or removing the chime itself..

That being written this is how I found the problem with mine..
I first had to isolate the source of the chime trigger. I typically remove dome light bulbs on my two door vehicles so there wasn't a light on condition for me..

I started with the driver's side door because it typically is used more often..

1. Check your dome light - door closed,
If the light is still on or has +12 VDC on one of the dome light bulb connectors (and your headlight switch is NOT turned to the interior light 'on' position) look for a door jam fault..

2. Check/Inspect your door's sensor,
Visually, then functionally by pushing the sensor it in/out - to see if your dome light on/off operation/VDC coincides with the manipulation of the sensor, (add some lubricant if necessary to aid in easing its operation..) If not replace sensor and continue if necessary

3. Check the door jam sensor striker plate(s),
It may be pushed back too far to depress the sensor enough to deactivate it - adjust it by bending it back toward the door, close the door and test for light 'off' (no VDC on previous +12VDC bulb connector), after each adjustment (I'd suggest in small increments..) Adjust the striker plate far too back and it can break the sensor's plastic retainer that hold's it in the door and push the sensor inside your door, stuck in the door open position..

4. With Dome light out and door closed, insert key, start Stang and let's hope that annoying chime is off..

5. If after checking both doors and for some reason you still have the light on/chime on condition and you believe the striker is adjusted properly, I would individually remove the door jam sensors, disconnecting it from it's harness connection to see if I still have a chime on/light on condition.. This effectively opens that circuit and there should be No power at the dome light from a door trigger or a signal to the chime..
Then I would start the car to see if the chime on/light on stopped, if it does you have a starting point, its probably your door jam sensor(s)..

** I only had to go the check step two as my sensor was pushed inside the door.. The plastic retaining clip broke, with the sensor landing inside the door.. I also did have to readjust the striker plate..**

Remember, most Stang lovers that choose to nurture their older pony want everything to work as it should or better.. A lot of owners that have an older Stang are NOT the original owner, that being said.. "You really have no idea what the previous owner did or did not properly repair.." Expect to find anything!! Most sellers don't willingly sell a sports car that is perfect..
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Suek
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by H82LOOZE
Hello Fellow "Stangers!!"
I've run across this issue myself, researched it and have also seen just about every answer from cutting the Blk/Pnk wire, mutilating the ignition switch and it's assembly to disabling or removing the chime itself..

That being written this is how I found the problem with mine..
I first had to isolate the source of the chime trigger. I typically remove dome light bulbs on my two door vehicles so there wasn't a light on condition for me..

I started with the driver's side door because it typically is used more often..

1. Check your dome light - door closed,
If the light is still on or has +12 VDC on one of the dome light bulb connectors (and your headlight switch is NOT turned to the interior light 'on' position) look for a door jam fault..

2. Check/Inspect your door's sensor,
Visually, then functionally by pushing the sensor it in/out - to see if your dome light on/off operation/VDC coincides with the manipulation of the sensor, (add some lubricant if necessary to aid in easing its operation..) If not replace sensor and continue if necessary

3. Check the door jam sensor striker plate(s),
It may be pushed back too far to depress the sensor enough to deactivate it - adjust it by bending it back toward the door, close the door and test for light 'off' (no VDC on previous +12VDC bulb connector), after each adjustment (I'd suggest in small increments..) Adjust the striker plate far too back and it can break the sensor's plastic retainer that hold's it in the door and push the sensor inside your door, stuck in the door open position..

4. With Dome light out and door closed, insert key, start Stang and let's hope that annoying chime is off..

5. If after checking both doors and for some reason you still have the light on/chime on condition and you believe the striker is adjusted properly, I would individually remove the door jam sensors, disconnecting it from it's harness connection to see if I still have a chime on/light on condition.. This effectively opens that circuit and there should be No power at the dome light from a door trigger or a signal to the chime..
Then I would start the car to see if the chime on/light on stopped, if it does you have a starting point, its probably your door jam sensor(s)..

** I only had to go the check step two as my sensor was pushed inside the door.. The plastic retaining clip broke, with the sensor landing inside the door.. I also did have to readjust the striker plate..**

Remember, most Stang lovers that choose to nurture their older pony want everything to work as it should or better.. A lot of owners that have an older Stang are NOT the original owner, that being said.. "You really have no idea what the previous owner did or did not properly repair.." Expect to find anything!! Most sellers don't willingly sell a sports car that is perfect..
You are absolutely right on everything. You never know who cut what. I haven't re-hooked the black clip in key switch yet, But I know I solved the headlight chime problem. The door latch was dipped in some kind of plastic and it was peeling off causing the latch to not fully latch. I also sprayed up the door actuator. This has the same plastic or rubber on the side of it. It seems someone must have ripped it off a little. so I didn't have to take the door panel off. After that no headlight chime. Sometime I'll hook the black clip to the key switch and see. I had also replaced the switch thinking it's electrical part was bad. Nope. Thanks for writing a good starter point for people. Again, That plastic or rubber dipped stuff falls apart on the latch. I had to open the door and move it to see that it falling apart. I took a razor blade and cut what I could off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Mustang door chime won't turn off